Where is Canon?

There wasn't a single Canon camera in the house when Phelps walked the stairs to kiss his mother.

Wow! Nikon also won a gold medal today!

The area was mixed, there were tons of photographers in the photographers section, mostly sporting long lenses for the actual swim, both colors. I did see one guy with a 14-24 up front taking wide close ups. There were quite a few grey lenses around, just maybe not at that moment. IT was a little chaotic there as he weaved into the crowd.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course I was exaggerating: Canon was present, and possibly outnumbered Nikon....

But the lack of white lenses (at that moment) really stood out.

At the march onto the floor of one of today's venues I counted and double-counted the press box. There were 6 gray lenses and approximately three time as many black lenses.

it's amazing how quickly the D3 has brought nikon to the forefront of sport photography
a year ago.... we all know how few there would have been

kudos to nikon

D

dwind

Has canon put anything new out in the last year comparable to the 300, d3 and d700?
Nikon was smart getting their stuff out in time for the olympics and a lot of exposure.

S

scooptdoo

im sure canon will soon(by end of year ) release some updated bodies.that will match or better yet surpass nikons releases this year.otherwise they may as well shut uo shop and we all know that aint gonna happen.
2008 has been a big year for nikon.the previous couple years went to canon.2009 we will see.

Certainly hope they do, not for their bottom line, but for their loyal following and for the digital camera community at large. We all benefit when competition thrives. Perhaps this quiescence reflects a full-blown effort to address the focus problem for the long term. We all suffered for years waiting for Nikon to "get it together." Their stuff will likely leap frog Nikon and that's just what we need.

Certainly hope they do, not for their bottom line, but for their loyal following and for the digital camera community at large. We all benefit when competition thrives. Perhaps this quiescence reflects a full-blown effort to address the focus problem for the long term. We all suffered for years waiting for Nikon to "get it together." Their stuff will likely leap frog Nikon and that's just what we need.

Exactly...it's just a matter of time before they release the next *best* thing. Leap frog is good for the competition, and will probably force me to buy the next best thing when Nikon retaliates, LOL!

I have to admit, I counted lenses in one of the photos posted on here. I got 74 lenses, 32 of which were Canon. Pretty good Nikon numbers considering what things looked like this time last year.

As far as what Canon is up to; I have no doubt they'll have something interesting to show at Photokina. If not, the former exodus to Nikon will look weak by comparison! I imagine a lot of agencies have been holding off to see what Canon has to offer soon.

Then again, look how long it took Nikon to regain apparent dominance in the press box. Canon may just have to play second fiddle for a while. It'll be interesting to watch, for sure! Nikon is evidently saving some pretty cool stuff for us until Photokina, so Canon may simply not have the guns to catch up this year! :tongue:

You know, I said this in a previous post. Many PJs are ex-Nikon shooters who were forced to switch because of Nikon's inability to make a strong PJ camera. The D3 is out and now, many are happy to switch back. It's not that hard to sell a 1D mark II/III and a couple L glass telephotos. Easy as that!

Like mentioned in the previous posts, Nikon is winning back its lost following amongst the pros and the PJs specially. I also think Nikon was pretty smart to bring out its wares ahead of the Olympics and get the exposure.

A

adrianaitken

And since the world and his dog is heading for a recession, even if Canon pulled out a D3 beater, not many big players (newspapers etc) would dump Nikon for Canon. The accountants wouldn't allow it, especially if they have just gone from Canon to Nikon last year !!!

Here's the best picture I've seen of this...see all the D3s!

I too think Canon won't be sitting around, so it will be interesting come London...But I will say that a picture (it's here but I'm hearing reports that the pics aren't visible) I saw of T&F showed a lot more white glass than black, compared to what I had seen at swimming. Perhaps indoors (D3 preference) vs. outdoors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
it's amazing how quickly the D3 has brought nikon to the forefront of sport photography
a year ago.... we all know how few there would have been

kudos to nikon
Yep.

I was waiting to purchase a used D3, but after considering my situation and needs (I am not a pro or make money with my gear), I drove to Samy's Camera to purchase the D700 this past Saturday.

Since both cameras were in stock and the salesman was willing to take a little time with me, I compared it to the D3.

That was the wrong thing to do.

I soon discovered I REALLY prefer the heft, size and feel of the D3 over the D700. I don't care that the D3 doesn't have the newer features the D700 sports; I really like the D3. It may be overkill for my needs, but the D3 totally kicks butt!

I gotta have it!

Alas, I left empty handed... I need to save a little more cash to make this dream come true :smile:.

I hope Canon and Nikon release their top guns in a few months. Hopefully the price of the D3 will drop a little as a result, especially in the used arena.

In the meanwhile, I'll continue pointing at the TV whenever I see a lucky photographer using the D3 at the Olympics....

Sigh.

K

Kqw1208

Hey...If your heart is set on a D40, don't put a D80 in your hand....If your heart is set on a D80, don't hold a D300 in your hand...If you're set on a D300, don't put a D3 or D700 in your hand....

Just an observation

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom