Where is CNX2 installed on a Mac?

Sounds funny, but installed my 18 months ago and moved it to a sub-folder...now the Nik installer for Color Efex Pro won't install because CNX2 isn't at the default location. I need to move it back, but I have it in a sub-folder and can't recall which sub-folders I created and which one the install may have created.

I already complained to Nik that that was a bad idea (never assume a user won't move it, especially considering how easy it is to do so compared to a PC).

Thanks

You blame Nik for your failing memory?????:rolleyes::eek:

No, I blame them for not having a more robust installer that can find it...or at least allow the user to redirect it to the right folder. Never assume that a user won't move it.
Why don't you Spotlight CNX2 to find it?????:wink:

I know where it is NOW. The question is where was it originally installed so the Color Efex installer can find it.

The standard path is : /Applications/Nikon Software/Capture NX 2/...

mind the white space!

the caches etc are stored in:
~/Library/Application Support/Nikon/Capture NX

localisations etc are stored in:
/Library/Application Support/Nikon/Capture NX 2

Thanks Tom

Thanks Tom, that worked. Anybody know if COlor Efex will still work if I move the folder back to where it was?

No, I blame them for not having a more robust installer that can find it...or at least allow the user to redirect it to the right folder. Never assume that a user won't move it.

Exactly. And that applies in the Windows world too. We might not be able to move program files easily (without breaking the registry), but we might change the install path in the first place. A very valid reason for doing that is to install programs on a second drive to balance space.

It's actually not that easy for an installer to 'find' a previously installed program. If you assume it could be anywhere, you have to search the entire hard drive for some specific file name - which might be changed, in the future, causing your installer to break. The user might have moved the program, or even made a copy of it, in which case you might mistake the copy for a running installation. The only safe thing to do is to look for it in its default location. Otherwise you risk getting into weird situations that will be hard for your tech support people to unwind.

tT, thanks for the Mac tips. I'm not really a Mac guy although I've done some Mac development.

What I was trying to say was: while it's ok to move Application A (produced by company A) to another location, there may be problems for Application B (produced by company B) if it needs to know the location of the active copy of Application A.

If the user can move Application A to any arbitrary location on the drive, what assumptions can Application B make when looking for it? How can it know that it's located "the" active copy and not a backup, or a duplicate left behind after a copy? I think if I were working for Company B, I'd say "let's just look for it in the default location, and if it's not there, give up."

If Application B succeeds in finding Application A, then B has to also install itself in a non-standard location; in other words it has to follow A wherever the user moved it. More potential problems for B.

But as you point out, there may be file system conventions that I'm not aware of, which relate to this problem.

Thanks. I need to start absorbing some of this Unix "lore".

I think what you're saying, then, is that Application B can find the current mounted location of Application A by looking at the file system 'journaling'?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom