1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Where is everybody?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Porchking, Aug 8, 2009.

1. 3 days seems to be a long time for no posts. I guess everyone knows everything there is to know about NX2, unless they are all waiting for a new release....:smile::biggrin:

2. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    Don't use NX2.....I am a LightRoomer all the way......started wtih it whole being a Konica Minolta User and really like it........as the saying should go......Momma don't take my LightRoom a way...........

3. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    I am about to pull trigger on a new desktop, hoping it will result in big imporvements to NX2 speed. Then I plan to use a lot more of the features without long waits between clicks.

....so I will be here.

4. No long waits as I see it on my IMAC

5. Did you find the secret for doing this? I have a dual 2G G5 running 10.4.11 and have tried increasing the RAM and moving the cache to another internal hard drive. Neither of these steps has made a noticeable improvement in speed. I still get significant intermittent delays for such simple things as zooming in, changing the exposure or saving an edited file. I think generally the first zoom in an image is the longest, with the image window even going blank for a while.

I generally deal with at most 40 photos at one time and couldn't imagine using NX 2 for many more. I like the results but the waiting is very frustrating.

Barry

6. Two things. First, how much ram do you have? When I installed 4 gb, up from 1 gb, i noticed a marked improvement. Second, 40 photos? At once? really? I can't even imagine trying to open 40 photos at the same time in any program and editing something.

7. I can't either. Particularly with NX2, I adjust one image at a time.

8. I do up to six at a time at a decent enough speed. Doing this for a few sets of six, screws up internal memory management (cleanup), and it gets extra slow. I close and reopen and start afresh (dual core - 4GB).

9. I had 1.5 GB and raised it to 5.5 GB.

Clarification: I don't open 40 photos at once. I may need to process a total of 40 photos at any one sitting. I open at most three related photos at a time.

Barry

10. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    As I posted in the PC forum, I have seen a huge increase in speed in CNX2 with a new Intel i7-920 machine. 6 GB RAM.

I have both machines side by side while I transfer data, and I timed my old Pentium 3 ghz, 1 GB Dimension 8400 at 14 seconds to open a NEF file, my new machine (Dell Studio XPS) opened the same file in about 1 second.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.