Where is everyone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Catz, Oct 16, 2005.

1. I don't see too many on the forum anymore. There used to be several at one time. I guess not too much to talk about. I used to see 8 or more loged in on one forum and now it's only 1 or 2 here and there.

Just curious. What is the busiest day of the week where everyone is on the forums?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    We are all here Melissa.

I went a shootin at a Craft Fair today and have tooooo many keepers.....lolol
    Shot about 300 pics. Can you believe that in one day. For me that is a bunch for sure.

I love street photog. (little sneak i am) lol

Look for a boatload this week.... :>))))) Some real fun stuff.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    There are 29 users online right now, and 14 guests. Busiest time really varies. Weekends are usually slow as everyone is out taking pics.

Oddly enough, during work hours is a busy time during the week. :)

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

For one thing, I feel that the "new format" has so many places to post, it makes for less percieved traffic.

Although the NikonCafe has been my first choice, I need to emphasize that whenever I post anything at OLP Photo http://www.onlinephotographers.com I seem to aways get a reply from someone.

It seems that the traffic here at NikonCafe has not only gotten slow, it also seems that my posts are unanswered by any except "old friends"; but maybe that's just my perception.......I try to reply/respond to posts of people I have not seen or heard from before; especially when they have "0" replies to their posts ....certainly, as of late, I have not been able to post as much as I would like to here......maybe it's just the meds I'm on....or maybe we have to be more responsive to each other, as when someone makes the effort to respond, or make a post.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm here! I too noticed that it seems as though things have slowed down...maybe it's just that the weather has been so nice and people are out shooting???

I agree about needing to be more responsive...I try, but I'm just one person...I'll try harder!

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Leigh, you're always terrific about replies! If we ALL responded the way you do, it would be just like old times...

I use the "Subscribed Threads" and the "New Posts" buttons too much!

I miss a lot of posts that way.....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Speaking solely for myself, I've been working too much on the road, and, as well, I had no reasonable speed of internet access for a week of travel. I'm just settling into another week away in Wisconsin, having landed in Madison this afternoon and then driven to Rapids, and luckily, I have wireless internet here.

Time has literally flown for me lately.

We'll see about getting a few things posted in the coming days.

John P.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    It's football season!!!

9. Hey I'm here - I just type so slow I don't really seem to be here.

Mik

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I think that all forums are in a doldrum to speak.

I guess we need the D200 or D3 to liven things up a bit.

As to this forum, I think that we have lost some of the comradermy [sp]
    that we had when we started.

But then maybe we all know how to take pictures, focus probloems are solved.

Remember when Catz was having battery problems as well as focusing issues,
    when Monty was having issues, when Fenton and Nikon were arguing about focus on the D2X.
    When Greyflash posted great photos of his daughters wedding.
    When Backdoctor struggled to find birds to shoot.
    When Johnaton had his accident.
    When Pat had a picnic for the Nikon Cafe gang.
    When we had a spelling program to help with our messages.

Got news for you all. It will pick up.

Birger

11. I am here!

I usually can only get online before work and then like now that is, late at night.

I try to post/respond at least a couple times a day.

It seems a little slow but, then again there are more forums to look at here.

I know when I post a question at first, it seems like there are not many responses but, then after a couple of days I get lots of responses. I always get enough responses that my questions are answered. I try to return the favor when I can add/contribute to the subject matter at hand.

12. I think some of us lurk more than we post. Personally I have been making an effort to bring my posting average up to at least 1 post per day. I am getting close, but sometimes I lack inspiration. However there have been some interesting threads lately. Did you see that one about the 3-D chalk artist. Very cool. Also Doug Barber just made an interesting post about what it takes to make a great image. It is worth a read. I plan on posting to the thread once I have something intelligent to say. I know, I know It could be a while :biggrin:

things tend to go in cycles, so I think the forum will come around.

13. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    I just joined a few days ago, but i have noticed, that for the amount of view for replies, this is one of the highest by far. Plus i think that this is the nicest as far as members are concerned. I couldnt be happier. So what if traffic isnt "busy", I think that takes alot of the jerks out. Fine by me. Most places you post, half the responces you get are stupid comments, or someone will be ignorant, and post something when they don't even know what they are talking about.

Nikon Cafe = One great forum for photographers

14. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

It's baseball finals too! :smile:

Already we're picking up the pace....

It does take a lot of concerted effort to repond to a post; even if we only say "nice photo" it make a difference to the poster.... feedback to replies causes more feedback and more posts.....

We have to make the effort...if we view a post and don't make some sort of response we become part of the problem - I will try to reply to any posts I view....but I know I'm also guilty of viewing and not replying to many also! :frown:

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Right on, Ken. I think out participation has lagged recently, and I don't know why. I do know that Yokimbo here in AZ is working on getting another Cafe meetup together, and I'm gonna shoot with Uncle Frank next month. But the day to day forum interactions do seem to be slow.

As a member, that's bad for me, and as a moderator, I wonder what I could be doing better to encourage (or at least not discourage) participation.

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Amen, Chris...you and Uncle Frank are a couple of the best at posting and replying....

I would like to emulate either of you....and will try to follow your examples!

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I'm always here, well at least chk in, reply everyday :cool:

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am here to much and post alot :>))))))

of replys that is.

19. I kinda enjoy this "few but qualitative" posts we get.
    Hey, it's a Cafe not a NightClub... :wink:

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I think that Ken sort of hit the mark with his comment about the number of forums. We have the large number because our members asked for them, but it does make things seem slim on any given forum. The advantages of many forums is that you get to mingle with folks with similar interests, and your posts don't run off the first page in an hour or two. The disadvantage is that it splinters the membership, and we don't often interact with all of our friends like we did when there were many fewer.

Now if we could just figure out how to get the benefits of diversity without the detriments, we'd really have a good thing. I do agree that the excellent weather, and to some extent, the lack of serious controversy has reduced the posting frequency, but I think that it is mostly a matter of perception due to the number of forums.

I'd like to hear member ideas for making the Cafe the best that it can be. What do you think would make it better?