Where is the ISO reading?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 16, 2007.

1. For the first year and a half I had my D50, I shot RAW and processed in Photoshop Elements 4.0. Alwaysa had an ISO reading in my EXIF, even as I copied out a JPEG for use on pbase.

This year I switched my sports shooting to jpeg-fine. If I set a manual ISO, I get a record. If I use auto-iso, which i'm inclined to do more and more as I refine my technique, I get nothing....not in Elements, not on the web using Opanda. What is going on? Is this normal, or is there a bug in either the camera or Elements that is destroying the iso recording under when shooting jpeg using auto-iso?

Any help/explanation/point-to-a-solution will be much appreciated.

2. vadimg

vadimg

May 23, 2007
    ny, ny
    I think you might only be able to read the actual ISO value in Nikon RAW processing software. I'm not sure though, I don't know how the D50 does it. On my D2x, auto iso gives the proper value in all programs.

3. Thanks, Vadim. I checked on Nikon's web site and find no mention of this specific problem...only that if the Nikon NEF handler is installed (mine was) it overrides Adobe RAW. So what you mention may be the case....my NEF files were handled within Elements by the NEF module, but Elements is using it's own software to handle the jpegs. Still, why do they show up sometimes and not others, that is the question. Must be some basic incompatibility in how Nikon is handling/recording ISO so far as the exif standard is concerned. The only thing I can think of is that in auto-iso, the camera uses 1/3 increments, whereas it is programmed only in whole increments. Perhaps Nikon provides no means of recording "in-betweens". If so, how stupid? But also if so, why does it work in NEF RAW?

Questions, questions, questions!!

4. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Harry, to make sure you use ACR to import your RAW files in PSE check out this link. It is slightly outdated as it doesn't contain CS3 or ACR 4 info but for your version it's still correct.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  5. I believe Auto ISO uses 1/6th stop increments so maybe the EXIF functions for "in camera" jpegs only support 1/3rd stop increments.

Ronnie

6. Got it, Vadim, thanks. I was using it, but the update seems to help.