Where is this view (hint: Southern Utah)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by sfoxjohn, May 2, 2007.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Looks like lots of pictures from southern Utah lately. I wonder who has stood here?

[​IMG]

2. I'd say Arches or Canyonlands - I think I have that same mtn range in the background of one of my Delicate Arch slides....

3. Mountains are similar....am I far off?

[​IMG]

4. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Little big man you are off. If I said how far though, it might add too much to the hint. I do understand your reasoning. I am looking for a more specific reply than your first, more like your second reply.

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    How about Dead Horse Point?

6. I'll play. Somewhere near Kanab?

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    No, but I can see how it looks like the same kind of scenery.

Here's another clue. This was taken in the same park as the first.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Nope, unless you really stretch "near".

9. Quiet Eye

Quiet Eye

Apr 21, 2006
    North Alabama
    If its not along the Colorado River northeast of Moab, give us a hint. Are the mountains in the background the La Sal, Blue or Henry mountains?

10. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    My guess. Looks like the south end of Capitol Reef NP fromthe circle cliffs/Burr trail area (east of Boulder)with the Henry Mtns in the background.
    Capitol Reef NP-I'm just about positive

11. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Yes, John,

It is in Capitol Reef and those are the Henry mountains.

Hard to believe somebody from Alaska got it first.

However, it was taken from a named spot in CR and I am still waiting for that answer. It's very strange, but I can't recall ever seeing another one of this view whenever I see pictures from CR.

Here's another one that I've only seen taken from the other side of the bridge (Hickman Bridge).

[​IMG]

12. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    Hi John,
    Very nice image of Hickman Bridge BTW.

Sulpher Creek canyon?

I had a slight advantage with Capitol Reef. About ten years ago I realized that I had never been to the desert Southwest, so for each of the next four years I took a two week backpack/hiking trip somewhere in south Utah. Escalante canyons, Grand Gulch, the Maze, etc.....Capitol Reef has some spectacular hiking-especially off trail. I found that if I planned the trips in october around the full moon it was often feasible to hike sometime from early evening through early mornings (the Milky Way alone in those parts can be bright enough to navigate by). Bootsteps echoing off Navajo sandstone in deep shadows. Bats everywhere. Pure spooky magic!
    A most pleasant way to get maximum mileage, conserve water and avoid the blistering heat of mid day. And also some great encounters with surprised coyotes.

13. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    John, you have virtually nailed it. It is called Sunset Point and as the map shows it is close to Sulphur Creek.

Here is a copy of half of the CR Trail Map with the location of the three pictures here in order 1,2,3 indicated on the map. It was almost sunset and the shadows at the bottom were moving quickly even though most of the rest of the picture seems to be mid-day. Believe it or not, fifteen minutes later I needed a flashlight to get back to the car.

[​IMG]

I'm kind of surprised that with over 250 lookers, nobody else came up with it. Gordon (Greyflash) must be on vacation. lol

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice images. I bet the air smells really clean out there compared to NYC :)

Regards

RFC

15. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    RFC,

I love your site and your panoramas are fantastic.

16. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks RFC. Coming from you I consider that a compliment.

I remember the crack that Lindsey made when he was mayor of NYC: I don't want to breathe any air I can't see. So, you bet the air is cleaner there. At least I couldn't see it. lol