Where to adjust D300 color saturation?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by panda81, Jul 22, 2008.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I've started a thread about something similar before, but now I have a question. I feel like the photos from my D300 are very desaturated - I usually have add anywhere from +15 to +30 in Photoshop to achieve a saturation I like. Perhaps my tastes are also more towards the saturated end than others, but I wonder if +15 to +30 consistently might mean there is a setting in my D300 where the colors are muted. Since I bought this used, it's possible that the previous user(s) had changed it.

Outside of the picture controls (standard, neutral, vivid, etc), is there another way that you can change the color saturation of a picture inside the camera?

Thanks in advance.

2. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    You can go into the Picture control you are currently using and up it's saturation level, and create your own PC.

3. I use in camera settings of Standard for the picture control and dial +1 for saturation. But, to have that show up in PP you will have to use NX otherwise you will have to make up your own settings in CS3. I always start out in NX then save as tiff to do any more pp in CS3. The picture controls are the only place to do that in camera.

Nancy

4. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

be aware the more color punch(enhansment )the more you want.a punchy colored pictur is tempting.i always compare to origonal then to the scean as i remember it and find even a little color enhansment go's a long,long way!

5. I asked same question the other day and Nancy as above graciously provided the answer. Open your files in NX or NX2 and you will be surprised by the increased saturation particularly, if you have the picture control set to Vivid. Also Adobe states the their raw defaults "give photographers more headroom" and are not as saturated This info was on the Adobe website but I can not find it today