Where to buy?

My brother is looking to buy a new body and is thinking of the d200 or d300, any recomendations on where to purchase one and has anyone heard of or dealt with soniccameras.com? Prices here unusually low.

My brother is looking to buy a new body and is thinking of the d200 or d300, any recomendations on where to purchase one and has anyone heard of or dealt with soniccameras.com? Prices here unusually low.

<soapbox> This should be a sticky. B&H and KEH are tops. Adorama if you want to do something different. Most others (yes there are exceptions) are bait and switch hard sells that want to load you up with crap. </soapbox>

my 2¢

-TPM

I agree with the previous posters suggesting B&H of KEH. They are 2 of the very best.

I recently received an email from Costco listing the D300 for $1679 which includes a 2gb CF card. With a 90 day return policy that deal may be hard to beat.
If not a member it may be worth joining...

There should be java or whatever does it that every time this site opens puts in inch high letters on the screen:

Go to www.resellerratings.com to learn if a certain seller is good or not.

I know, before you bother to say it, it would be annoying and you'd be tired of it after the second time. It might save people lots of grief so it would be worth 2 seconds.

There should be java or whatever does it that every time this site opens puts in inch high letters on the screen:

Go to www.resellerratings.com to learn if a certain seller is good or not.

I know, before you bother to say it, it would be annoying and you'd be tired of it after the second time. It might save people lots of grief so it would be worth 2 seconds.

Ditto!
I also check the Better Business Bureaus for any complaints. I usually order from B&H myself.

MikeT

I also have bought off B&H and can recommend them. I am also looking for a D200 body in the next couple of weeks; I have a question to ask forum members which might also be of interest to Jarema. What are your experiences dealing with cameta camera on ebay – I know they have a good rep, just want confirmation from you guys here. Also I can get a “mint demo “ D200 body off them for around $150 less than a new one from
B&H – is it ok getting one of these or would you think its better paying the difference and getting a new one from B&H? :confused:

I've bought demo from Cameta and can't tell the difference from NIB. I'm fully satisfied with them. Beach is another that has been good so far.

they will try to scam you.

Thanks LDB415 I also just read other peoples recommendations of cameta on the “Buying Demo model of D50” post, seems like they’re good to deal with. An advantage of these demo models I guess could be that they’ve been fully checked out by the service dept at Nikon …. - reading about all these dodgy online stores that are around makes me super paranoid! :eek:

I also have bought off B&H and can recommend them. I am also looking for a D200 body in the next couple of weeks; I have a question to ask forum members which might also be of interest to Jarema. What are your experiences dealing with cameta camera on ebay – I know they have a good rep, just want confirmation from you guys here. Also I can get a “mint demo “ D200 body off them for around $150 less than a new one from
B&H – is it ok getting one of these or would you think its better paying the difference and getting a new one from B&H? :confused:

I bought a Nikon P&S from Cameta via Ebay. The camera is a POS, but the transaction was smooth.

Thanks for all the advice guys, kinda thought it was too good to be true but just needed some reassurance.

I purchased my D50 and 18-200vr from 17photo.com (17th Street Photo). That was
2 1/2 years ago and since then have purchased 3 additional lenses and other odds and ends. They have great service, knowledgable people on the phone, quick delivery, and good prices. And they have good reviews on resellerattings.com.

Have also purchased from B & H....also very good.

Real Name
John DeSanto
I buy from Beach Camera online because:

a) They're out of state (for me) and hence no tax and...

b) They're very close to me so the item never gets on a plane and the shipping is quick...

All these "I buy here or there" answers, and not a single piece of advice NOT to buy the D200 new? You can get a used one, with hardly any clicks, and a grip and two batteries for under $800, right here on the cafe, with some patience. FredMiranda is another good place to look. I got scammed on Nikonians, so now I tend to stay away.

In addition to the above mentioned, I also buy from J&R Music World (jr.com). They are an authorized dealer with brick and motar in the NYC City Hall area. They've been around for 30 years or more, started by selling hi-fi equipment. Bought both my D70 and SB-800 from them. Top notch service and they have B&H prices often with free shipping (depending on the item).

For you NYC folks, you can order from UniquePhoto in NJ to save the tax. Also reliabe is Buydig in NJ. Both have prices like B&H (the gold standard).

All these "I buy here or there" answers, and not a single piece of advice NOT to buy the D200 new? You can get a used one, with hardly any clicks, and a grip and two batteries for under $800, right here on the cafe, with some patience. FredMiranda is another good place to look. I got scammed on Nikonians, so now I tend to stay away.

Stop making sense!

S

ssjarz

I just bought a Tokina 100mm macro from Adorama. I like their website structure better than B&H, it is easier for me to find things. However the 2 Day Air from UPS is really more like 4 Day Air.

Latest threads

Top Bottom