Where to find current lens value?

Is there a reliable site where I can look to get an idea of what lenses are currently selling for? I am thinking about selling several of mine and getting different ones, and I don't want to be too high. Thanks!

buy and sell forum at fred miranda gives a pretty good idea at the current outgoing prices for gear. just stay away from CL. i see people selling d60's for upwards of $700 there...:tongue:

Fred Miranda, as Rob mentioned, is a good source. The buy/sell board is here. You do have to register to search, but it is free to register (you just won't be able to post items for sale unless you pay.)

Excellent... thanks guys. I know that CL doesn't give an accurate idea of value. I tried KEH and B&H used stores, but didn't find the particular lens I was looking for. I will try over at FM... never been there, but I hear a lot about it...

When you define your search on the left side of the screen there are different areas you can choose to further define your search. There is a heading called "Show Only", select that and one of the choices in that category is: "Completed listings"--select that option and it will show you only items for the search you have defined that have completed. Items that have a green dollar value have sold for that price, items with red prices did not sell. By selecting any item you can look at the description to get more information about that item.

Alan

When you define your search on the left side of the screen there are different areas you can choose to further define your search. There is a heading called "Show Only", select that and one of the choices in that category is: "Completed listings"--select that option and it will show you only items for the search you have defined that have completed. Items that have a green dollar value have sold for that price, items with red prices did not sell. By selecting any item you can look at the description to get more information about that item.

Alan
To do this on eBay you need to sign into an account as well (which is free to establish if you don't have one).

I think FM gives a slightly more accurate idea, as you don't have the eBay fee overhead.

Fred Miranda, as Rob mentioned, is a good source. The buy/sell board is here. You do have to register to search, but it is free to register (you just won't be able to post items for sale unless you pay.)
I know you said I can't post FS unless I pay, but can I purchase by just registering?

For me Fleabay, Fredmirranda are the two places I always looks to gauge going rate.

On Fleabay if you got an account do a search and create a watch list. There you can see how much things end up selling for after they close by checking back on your watch list of ended auctions.

Fred Mirranda is also a good place but unlike fleaby is a bunch of crazy photographyers :biggrin:

I'm not sure why people dish CL. I for one have sold and bought 70-200, 24-70, and my 200F2, and a bunch of consumer stuff there. You do have to watch the silly people who don't understand that camera's depreciate, but sometimes you find uneducated that sell lens at prices like they think cameras and computers depreciate at.

Is there a reliable site where I can look to get an idea of what lenses are currently selling for? I am thinking about selling several of mine and getting different ones, and I don't want to be too high. Thanks!

I'm not sure why people dish CL.
hahaha, i LOVE CL!!:tongue: i'd say 80% of my transactions have gone through CL, and all of them were smooth as can be. however, i wouldnt go to CL to get a feel for outgoing prices for gear just because of the insane amount of posts that are priced ridiculously. to me, FM gives a better estimate for gear value, without having to go through all of the useless posts of people asking $500 for a 18-55 lens, or conversely, scam ads where people are trying to sell a D3 for $500.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom