Where to find the answer?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Vin2k, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    What is the secret to finding backdrops for location work? Right now this is all a hobby for me and I've notice between this site and flickr/strobist that most of the location photographers seem to always have the right background and composition. I noticed some of those guys get right everytime. Do those guys just ride around searching for spots to do shoots? When they find the locations do most of them just shoot without a model first to get a feel for the location? Whats the secret? Fill me in!

2. Experience! :smile: Trust me, the more you do it, the more you start to see literally as the camera will see it with your own eyes! (Not that I'm there yet, but I do notice that I am improving!)

3. Once you recognize how important a complementary background is to a composition, you'll pay as much attention to the background as you do to the subject. If you circle the subject and concentrate on the background, you can generally find a perspective that will enhance a portrait.

But experienced location shooters will go the extra step and scout the location of an upcoming shoot. If I'm shooting a wedding, I'll show up at the reception site well before the event to check out lighting and backgrounds. This thread is about a scouting trip... https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=119308

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    vin, it really depends on what type of shot you're looking for.

The lens you choose has a major impact on the background. For example, if you're doing a head and shoulders portrait, just about any background will work if you shoot with a long, 200mm or 300mm lens and keep the BG out of focus... Trees, bushes etc work very well.

If you're doing more of an environmental portrait with a wider lens, then choosing the location is a little more of a challenge. I won't go riding around scouting a location per se, but I always keep an eye out for potential locations while on my normal day to day routine. When I do spot somewhere cool, I immediately evaluate the light(most important), look for potential open shade areas, etc, and then figure out what would be the optimum time of day and what gear to bring if I ever do decide to return for a location shoot.

Like Shaun said, the more you do it...it will just come natural to you.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yer bowling avatar makes me think you are the Big Frankouski!

6. really the secret is IMO to get good at getting the results you want for the subject first, and then later really worry about the background. It's like playing in a band and learning not only your instrument but the songs as well. You really have to take it one step at a time, learn the instrument first, learn the tricks that it can do, and then finally learn the music.

This may take a year or two, or it may take more. But it does take time, and it's not something that will come over night.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Now that's good!