Where to go around Merritt Island

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Louis Champan, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Will be in Coca, Florida around the 12th of Nov, can someone suggest some good locations to go and shoot birds?

Thanks

2. Hey Louis,
    There are quite a few good birding places in the vicinity of Merritt Island. One of our favorites is the Viera Wetlands which is about 20 minutes south of Cocoa, just off of I-95. Get in touch with HarryB who lives in Viera. He's always game for a shoot, as is Gale and Trish and even me if I can get over there. Viera is great for closer-up shooting. I regularly use a 300 + 1.4x. HarryB has been using a 500 + tc. Gale uses her 80-400.

Then there's Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and 6-mile Blackpoint Drive. It's located just on the north side of Kennedy Space Center and is great for all kinds of birds.

I haven't been there personally but there's another wildlife refuge in Merritt Island by the mall called Ulumay. It would be close but again I haven't visited.

For pelicans and other sea birds try Jetty Park or Port Canaveral. There's usually plenty of activity there. Gulls, too, if you like to shoot them.

Brevard Zoo is a great place if you don't mind shooting captive birds and animals. We've spent quite a few times there and have come back with some great shots.

When it gets closer, let us know and maybe we can hook up and shoot together.

3. Kevin, thanks alot I really appreciate it. I'll definitely let you know as the date gets closer. My wife and I are spending a week in Florida visiting friend and the such, and I'm planning on one day for shooting birds. I look forward to chatting with you soon and it would be great if we could arrange getting together for some birding.

I'm thinking that I'll bring a 300mm ( trying to decide which one to buy f2.8 or F4) for the lens I'll be shooting with. Got to try and pack light for the camera equipment, given all of the other stuff that we'll we have to bring along.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Louis,

Sure glad to have you visit here.

Please feel free to contact me as well.. Just drop a pm to me, I'll give you my number.

Always up for a shoot....

Cheers

5. Louis, if you have a chance to meet Gale and Kevin, you will get acquaintance with two really nice persons and will have a great time together.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Dao :>))

Your super... Wish your were here...

Great shooting with you :>)))

Sure miss Ya......

Flew/Frank is here here For today Sat and sun.

Greatttt to get together again with him.
    Harry B, Trish, Kevin, Doug were here as well.. Think Harris is to join tomorrow.

Sure you don't want to come to a smaller water facility. :>))))))))))

Louis, be sure to get ahold of us. :>)))))))

7. Yeah, it would be nice to shoot again with you and meet those great guys.:frown: