1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Where's my gap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by equetefue, Aug 1, 2009.

1. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    Ok guys... trying to determine where my gaps are and getting recommendations from you fine people. I know is Canon stuff but the need is the same

I shoot: Birding and wildlife most of the time and regular candids (family and outings)

This is what I have

Wildlife:
    1DMarkII with 400f5.6L + 1.4xTC
    5D + grip with 70-200F4

Anything else
    Use of 5D with:
    17-40L for landscaping
    50 f1.8 general portrait/product photography
    135L for nice portrait

I'm for sure going to be replacing the 400 with a 500f4L, but I feel I need a general walking lens; maybe a 24-105L or 24-70L

What you guys think ?

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Use this to find your Gap :wink:

3. Honestly - you may want to try a Canon forum, or, at least not a Nikon specific forum. I for one don't know anything about Canon's lineup of lenses.

But looking at what you're line of thinking is I'd say you're on your way to filling in the gaps nicely. You've got a good range of focal lengths covered.

4. When I asked my wife (she know's EVERYTHING !) - she told me my gap is between my ears !

Only suggestion is replace the 70-200 with a faster version (f/2.8), so if you put a TC on it you can still hold a descent DOF.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Heh, at first I thought just like Julien, that you were shopping for semi-hip kids clothing.

But it doesn't look like you have any missed focal lengths. If birding is really your thing, then faster long lenses are important, so start saving. Go look at our bird forum - that'll give you an idea of what to use.

For a "walking lens", try your 50 on your "full frame" body for a week, and nothing else. It's an eye opening experience. Some 'one prime walk-abouters' prefer a 35mm lens. Get a fast one, so you can walk around with it at night too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.