WhiBal in the Studio

I was looking for a reason to use my shiny new Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and "Nikon" camera (20D). :) I realized that I haven't used WhiBal extensively in the studio and this was a chance to test my new camera's skin tones. Here's the approach - open the WhiBal cards like so:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Using your camera's custom WB protocol set your WB by using ONLY the LIGHT GRAY rectangle (lower left side of the 4 rectangles). If the LIGHT GRAY isn't yielding good results go to the DARK GRAY or even WHITE. So far LIGHT GRAY has worked well every time. BTW, testing this shot for neutrality in PS was a great success - each square measured nearly perfectly neutral (meaning RGB values on each square withing 1-3 points of each other).

Here's some test shots with my daughter who was tired but still willing to help dear old dad. ;) All shots are straight out of the camera with minor sharpening using fredmiranda's WP Pro (USM applied during size reduction for web to maintain shot's full size sharpness).

20D - Tamron 28-75 f2.8 @ f8-11 depending on the shot. 1 Elinchrom RX600 in a Chimera 36x48 camera left and white 40x60 foam core for fill on some shots:

BTW, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is an amazing sample - I really got lucky. It's almost TOO sharp. Even with a youthful complexion you can see the pores on her nose and mild acne on her forehead between her eyes. This lens requires make-up. :)

100% Crop with NO sharpening at all - I can only say WOW:

Comments always welcome, thanks for looking.

Joe,

I really have to tell you I like your other images of your Beautifyl daughter better.

I see a tad to much red. But again my monitor lies.

Gale said:
Joe,

I really have to tell you I like your other images of your Beautifyl daughter better.

I see a tad to much red. But again my monitor lies.
That might be because my other images are PS'ed for a while to get skin tones that I personally favor vs. "reality". :) These are actually much better than my typical out of the box shots with lights - and I'm encouraged. It will take less PS than usual to get them where I like them (see example).

Here's a 5 minute PS witch color, contrast, and skin that I prefer vs. out of the box.

Thanks for commenting Gale. :)

PSd version better, a little less saturated, a little softer

Looks like classic Joe H portraiture. The kid's growing up.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom