1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which 135mm lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ScottS, Mar 26, 2007.

1. ScottS

ScottS

Apr 21, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I am searching for a used MF 135mm lens, for portrait photography with my D200, but I am not sure which is suppose to be the best example. Is it the Ai? Ai-S? Series E?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If you are looking for a 135/2.8, the AI or AIS lens is the best. It is made to a higher standard than the budget series-E lens, and it focuses closer.

3. I have shot with the Ai f/3.5 and the Ai-S f/2.8 version.
    Believe me, the f/3.5 version is as sharp as it gets and only a tad slower then the f/2.8.
    Also, given the "un-sexyness" of an f/3.5 lens, you'll catch them on ebay for $75 or so. Best darn $75 you'll ever spend.
    (here is an old post of mine of over a year ago: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=63744 ).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. ScottS

ScottS

Apr 21, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks to both of you!! That is exactly what I needed to know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.