1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

which 20 mm?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mood, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    looking at 20mm options in Ai- AiS lenses

or just get a Sigma 20 1.8 ?

what say you ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If you already have a lot of AI and AIS glass, and want to stay with the standard 52mm filter, I can recommend the AI or AIS 20/3.5. I mostly use it at f8 or f11 for landscapes and it delivers pretty well. I've taken some candid shots at f5.6 which hold up well also. It does have some central barrel distortion which flattens out at the edges so you can get a weird central bulge if not careful. It's extremely resistant to flare - shooting into the sun is no problem.

I shot with the AIS 20/2.8 (same optics as the AF version). From my limited experience with this lens, it is sharper than the 20/3.5 and barrel distortion is slightly less, but it's less resistant to ghosting when shooting into the sun. It had CRC so focuses a little closer. I didn't like the 62mm filter so ended up keeping my 20/3.5 as it fits my kit better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.