Which 50 on D700?

I had the nikkor 50/1.4 AF and the AF-D. I felt the af/af-d had a problem with flare/ghosting when shooting with bright lights in or around the frame. The bokeh wasn't great most of the time. I now have the 50/1.4 sigma. Great bokeh, fairly fast AF (though could be faster), slightly warm color. I use it for most of my indoor shooting.

I love it.

I've owned the AF-D(D200 & D700), Sigma 50mm(D700), and the Canon 50mm USM(on a 5D and 40D).

I don't really think there is a big difference in AF speed. If I had to pick it'd be the USM by a hair over the AF-D with the Sigma not farbehind. If I had them all together at once it might be different. I would choose by another characteristic like weight, price, bokeh, etc.

Check out the Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS the bokkeh is to die for and it's faster than the F2, 1.8, 1.4. Iv heard Katz Eye screen make's an excellent screen that makes manually focusing much easier. Good copies can be had at keh.com and will last a life time. When you feel the silky smoothness of the focusing sreen it will send shivers down your spine. The nikkor 50 1.2 AIS can also be used with tubes and or reversed to give a decent make due micro. It can also cook you breakfast. Okay, the last part is a stretch but the rest is true.

Check out the Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS the bokkeh is to die for and it's faster than the F2, 1.8, 1.4. Iv heard Katz Eye screen make's an excellent screen that makes manually focusing much easier. Good copies can be had at keh.com and will last a life time. When you feel the silky smoothness of the focusing sreen it will send shivers down your spine. The nikkor 50 1.2 AIS can also be used with tubes and or reversed to give a decent make due micro. It can also cook you breakfast. Okay, the last part is a stretch but the rest is true.
I suppose that if the OP asked for AF lenses it means he doesn't want manual lenses …

Back on topic : the AF-D is much faster than the AF-S, and it's more than obvious when you try them.

its not obvious to me

i have

both nikon af 1.4s
and an ais 1.4

i only ever have used nikon lens on my nikon cameras

since if bought the latest g it seems i have more in focus at the lowlight gigs i attend ide go back to the d if i thought it was better.
saying that the d is a superb lens and ive captured some great images with it.
one from last night with the g

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
afd slighly faster than afs which is weird for sure
actually both sucked for indoor basketball......
both produce superb results though

i suspect the sigma is the best when it comes to bokeh but good luck getting one that works correctly out of the box

I've found the Sigma to be best for low light use. If I wanted overall results and value I'd look to the Voigtlander 58 f/1.4 but it's manual focus.

Tom

Thanks for the advice.... :biggrin:

how much are you willing to spend, is the first question. :)
If it works, price does not matter.....
I just want something that it is not going to have problems focusing on the subject! I need this to work..... why do you have one for sale?

I already have the 70-200 f/2.8 VR, so I don't want to get the 85 f/1.8, unless I get a great deal on the 85 f/1.8.....

thanks,
angel m. leal jr.

I already have the 70-200 f/2.8 VR, so I don't want to get the 85 f/1.8, unless I get a great deal on the 85 f/1.8.....
I don't want to affect your NAS too much but you shoudn't dismiss the 85 just because you have the 70-200. A 1.3 stop increase makes quite a difference, not to mention the shallower DOF and weight gain. Just saying :wink:

Get Nikon 50 G version. Sigma holds a great promise, but if anything wrong with focusing and you missed your return window, or anything get wrong in the future - you screwed! My Sigma 50 just returned from repair at Sigma NY, still not focusing right. It was the third time they try to repair it. All I do with the lens is testing it and sending it to repair so far. Get Nikon!

Angel,

If you have the required patience, I'd recommend the Sigma 50 for its bokeh/microcontrast, focus speed and sharpness.
You won't always get a good one straight out of the box, but when you do . . . . :Love:
I mention patience because you might have to send it in for recalibration (perhaps repeatedly according to a couple posters) or play return roulette with the store.

I owned the Canon 50 1.4 and liked it, but it only got crisp and sharp at f/2. The Sigma doesn't wait for f/2.
I owned the older Nikon 50 1.4 and it was similar to the Canon 50 1.4 in its requiring a bit of stopping down for excellent sharpness.
I don't hear of any calibration problems with the new Nikon 50 1.4, but its owners don't seem to gush about their lens as much as Sigma 50 owners do.
I have heard some reports that the older Nikon 50 focusses quicker than the newer Nikon 50, but have no personal experience with that.

I don't want to affect your NAS too much but you shoudn't dismiss the 85 just because you have the 70-200. A 1.3 stop increase makes quite a difference, not to mention the shallower DOF and weight gain. Just saying :wink:
Julien,
I am not counting the 85 f/1.8 out just yet, but it's not on the must buy list @ the moment.... Trust me I like it, I had that lens when I shot Canon and loved it! I have also used it with a D700, trust me I like that lens for portraits! shots....

Right now I am looking for a 50 f/1.4....

Thanks Glen, I feel the same way about Nikon!

later,
angel m. leal jr.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom