Which 500 f4?

As much as I like my 500mm P, I am getting really tired of manual focus.Specially when I miss many opportunities for good shots due "almost in focus".At the end of the day, getting up, getting to the pond, waiting and hiding, get the shots, check out later on my pc - boom, 70%-90% not on focus, and if they are - not a good moment.Plus purple fringing, not good contrast against the light and so on.Long story short, I am selling it.

I fell in love with the 500mm prime though.I love the distance and the options it brings, combined with my DX body (d7000).So I am looking to get a new, used one.Three choises - af-s I, II, or VR. Of them, my favorite on paper is the af-s II, due mostly its lightweight, which is not much more than my P weights.Af-s I seems a bit old, and I doubt the optical quality is going to match the newer II or VR versions.Now VR is supposed to be the best optically, but weights the same as af-s I and more then af-s II.Plus its more expensive then the others, and truly, for BIF and action shots, do I really need VR?

Tell me what you think and share your expirience.
Other things in mind - weather sealing - which one has it, which one doesnt (shooting in rain for example).Plus working with tc's, weak sides and so on.
Thank you!

You do not need VR for BiF, at least IMO. If you're shooting at a high enough shutter speed to freeze the bird then VR isn't buying you anything and is probably slowing down the focus. I turn it off on my 200-400. As for which version, you are petty much playing for lighter weight. They are all fantastic optically and if the new VR is a little better than the older AF-S (both AF-S I and II have identical optics) it is the difference between fantastic and super-fantastic, IMO again. For me, if I were in the market for a 500mm I'd look for the older AF-I. It is heavier then newer versions but is also fantastic optically (it actually has more ED elements) , focuses very fast and is built like a brick. People will say you can't get replacement focus motors for it, which may be true and if that's a deal breaker for you then stick to the newer lenses but I had both the 300 and 400mm f/2.8 AF-Is and they were great lenses and unbeatable values.

I've had a 500mm AF-S II for a number of years and it has performed flawlessly. I can't shoot handheld with it and doubt very much even if it were a VR model I could hold it steady enough to shoot handheld. Don't see how you could go wrong with the AF-S II or I version.

I use mainly monopod, and sometimes tripod or a wooden plate with gimbal head on it, when taking pictures while laying on the ground.
So basically af-s I and II models are (almost) equal in terms of AF speed and accuracy and optics?How about weather sealing, is it enough to take some occasional rain?

Real Name
Randy
i would only be concerned about repairs for the afs 1 and 2 versions......Nikon has said they only guarantee parts for 7 years after a lens is discontinued

7 years.Nikon must be desparate to push those 500mm VRs to the customers.Even af-s II is now 8 years after they discontinued it.But they are some af-s motors on ebay, so its not that big of an issue, I think.

I got 2 offers - 5720$ for vr, and 3300$ for af-s I.I talked with the local Nikon service, they can replace the AF motor eventually if it dies for around 550$.
I cant justify spending that much money on vr lens, even on that good price.I am not a pro photographer.I should be fine with af-s I and d7000, right?

$3300 for a AF-S I sounds like a great deal to me. Even if you hate it I don't think you'd have much problem reselling it for what you paid for it.

Well, after I bought this 500mm af-s I turned out to be a flop.Not good on locking focus on my d7000, dont know if it was the body, or the lens hadsome problem.Plus pictures looked sort of dreamy, blurry and nothing special about IQ.Returned it and thought about option "B" - 300mm 2.8 VR I.Lucky for me, yesterday I found one used on good price, great condition, tested it and bought it.And OMG, what a difference - quality, AF, VR!I am so pleased with this lens, even with the 1,7x converter, which gives me 500mm too.

So longs story short - I hope for a good while the 300mm will replace my old 500mm P:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom