1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which 50mm lens should I buy?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nick Vaccaro, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:33 PM.

1. Nick Vaccaro

Nick Vaccaro

Nov 3, 2018
    I am looking to purchase a Nikon 50mm lens. Does anyone have a preference with a 1.8G or 1.8D? I know the 1.8G is more quiet on the auto focusing. Is one just built better than the other? Thank you for any assistance offered.

2. I have both, I don't like the D version because the focus ring spins when you AF and it wierds me out. The G version is one of Nikon's best lens values IMO. Here's a comparison of 50mm lenses for Nikon F mount. The 50G stacks up pretty well against some pretty expensive glass. Welcome to the Cafe' :) .

3. Nick Vaccaro

Nick Vaccaro

Nov 3, 2018
    Thank you for your assessment. I have been leaning towards the G.

4. Nick Vaccaro

Nick Vaccaro

Nov 3, 2018
    Quick question: would you go for the 35mm in lieu of the 50 since it has a focal length of 52mm?

5. If you have any interest in eventually getting a Z6 or Z7, then go with the G, as it will work 100% with the FTZ adapter. If you are ever going to invest in a Nikon DSLR below the D7000 series, get the G.

If all the camera bodies you have or are going to get will be D7000 DSLR and higher, then the D will be fine. IQ wise, they are about a wash.

6. I'm 100% with Rick--had the D and never warmed to it exactly the same reason (plus the focus ring is rather sloppy, despite a visit to Nikon service), but the G is a great lens. My only prime.

7. ???

8. On a DX body :) 

9. So you have an APS-C camera and want a 50mm field of view? If so, then, yes...look into the 35mm f/1.8G for DX

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nick Vaccaro

Nick Vaccaro

Nov 3, 2018
    Sorry, I should have specified.
    I understand. Shooting with a D7000. Thank you for your thoughts.

11. Your calculator's broke. Welcome back handsome :kiss: .

12. Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 10.26.37.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

13. Sorry, senior moment :mad: . I thought he was saying the 50mm had a FL of 52mm on his DX body. Guess I shouldn't have spouted off in the crop factor concept a few moments ago :confused: .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 1:53 PM
  14. Nothing a good bottle of wine can't fix :D 

15. Or 2, remember who we’re talking about:) 

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Right on! And of the high alcohol species :p 

17. I am a beer belly drinker but I’ve been dabbling in the vino the last week. The stuff over here is a lot better than ripple , even better than MD 20/20:) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. I resemble that remark :ROFLMAO: .

Be careful, you may incur the wrath of Mr. Buckley :mad: .

19. Order today! ;) 
    Edit: Or ask Santa for one.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 2:25 PM
  20. Nick Vaccaro

Nick Vaccaro

Nov 3, 2018
    Ahhhh, I resent what has become of my thread. We went from camera lenses to booze. Oh well, when I’m Rome.... How about a good scotch!?! Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.