Which AF mode do D300, D3 and soon to be D700 users prefer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jamesd3rd, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    When shooting sports? I'm just curious and I know it depends on the situation but I would like to know what you use for the activity you shoot and what is it about that setting that works best for you. For example,

- Do you use 9-point, 21 or 51 when you shoot XYZ and why?
    - How did you come to the conclusion that was the best mode suited for what you shoot?
    - How did the other modes look when compared to the one you settled on?
    - If you are not using 51-point 3D for what you shoot, why not?
    - What is it about 3D dynamic that doesn't work in that respective situation?

I like shooting sports and I would like to step up from the D80 at some point. I like the versatility of the D300 et al but would like to know what in situations you all use the various AF modes.

I don't care if the answers are long with a lot of detail that's what I'm looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  2. 9 point, continuous.

3. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Ok...why?
    What is it about 9-point that is suited for what you shoot?
    Why didn't other modes work for you?

4. James, for one I use 1pt or 9pt. For me I remain in control of what I want to focus on, not the camera. I trust myself to pick what should be in focus. And if I miss a shot because of focus I can only blame myself, which inturn makes me shoot better. When in 51pt or 21pt ect, the camera is more making the decision for you and you could possibly miss the shot you wanted.