Which aircraft cabin-friendly bag?

I'm looking at getting a new back to hold my camera gear. It must fit carry-on luggage size (about 55cm x 40cm x 20cm).

However, I need it to not be necessarily a "camera only" bag - need to be able to hold a small amount of clothes, laptop, etc.

So I guess I'm probably after a more generic bit of luggage but with good padding or compartments to keep the camera clear of the dirty socks :biggrin:

It'll have to hold, at a minimum, a gripped D700, gripped D300, 24-70/2.8, SB900, 50/f1.4, 17-35. Basically, most of the gear in my sig excluding the 120-300.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at getting a new back to hold my camera gear. It must fit carry-on luggage size (about 55cm x 40cm x 15cm).

However, I need it to not be necessarily a "camera only" bag - need to be able to hold a small amount of clothes, laptop, etc.

So I guess I'm probably after a more generic bit of luggage but with good padding or compartments to keep the camera clear of the dirty socks :biggrin:

It'll have to hold, at a minimum, a gripped D700, gripped D300, 24-70/2.8, SB900, 50/f1.4, 17-35. Basically, most of the gear in my sig excluding the 120-300.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :smile:
Xavier,

Two gripped bodies, 2 "fat" lenses, a laptop and other smaller items? It sounds like you need a set of wheels to prevent any back or shoulder problems. Pelican makes a carry-on case, the 1510. I use a LowePro backpack that can hold my gripped D300, 24-70 f/2.8, 35 f/1.8, 80-200 f/2.8 and a SB-600 along with a few small pieces of clothing. No laptop. It's heavy and ackward when packed full.

You can configure it anyway you like.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you. :smile:

Any more ideas? :smile:

That Pelican case is nice, but not too aircraft friendly because of the weight - empty, it's still over 6kg leaving just 4kg for equipment, let alone clothes.

I think it will have to be a real compromise and the emphasis has to be on a bag that is very light to ensure it can be filled without exceeding the weight limitation of 10kg...

Take a look at these Soft Sided Pelican cases, they have the advantage of being able to swap between soft and hard-sided. I have carried the 1510 on airplanes with a 400 f2.8, 200-400 and accessories and have not had any weight issues. So far I've never had carry on luggage weighed.

It's been a few months since I've been on a plane. When did they start weighing carry-on bags? The baggage handlers or gate agents never touch mine and I can't recall ever getting it weighed. I just put it on the x-ray machine belt, take it off and walk away.

I fly internationally on a regular basis, and I always carry a Tumi bag. There are several variations of Tumi carry-on bags, all of which are excellent. The bags are very durable, have comfortable straps, and sturdy hardware. What's more, some models are also available with built-in wheels and dolly handles.

As my old Samsonite luggage has been gradually demolished piece-by-piece by baggage handlers, my Tumi gear has held up quite well.

BTW, Tumi customer service is always excellent, and though I have yet to have a problem which has required their assistance, friends of mine swear by it.

I fly internationally on a regular basis, and I always carry a Tumi bag. There are several variations of Tumi carry-on bags, all of which are excellent. The bags are very durable, have comfortable straps, and sturdy hardware. What's more, some models are also available with built-in wheels and dolly handles.

As my old Samsonite luggage has been gradually demolished piece-by-piece by baggage handlers, my Tumi gear has held up quite well.

BTW, Tumi customer service is always excellent, and though I have yet to have a problem which has required their assistance, friends of mine swear by it.
Hmm. Done a quick search and found some nice bags with wheels.

But $2,000 :eek: :eek:

I used a Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter 550AW I think - the biggest one was a little too big for the smaller airplanes. When I was traveling a lot I would put my 12" Toshiba, D200, a couple of lenses, filters, and a bunch of junk. I don't know about putting clothes in it but I suppose you could get creative.

I use the same bag now as my flight bag for work, carrying a D200, D300, several lenses, and a Dell 14" laptop - plus a smattering of small junk.

Hmm. Done a quick search and found some nice bags with wheels.

But $2,000 :eek: :eek:
That price is a little out of the ballpark, even here in Japan (where everything is outrageously overpriced), you can get a good carry-on model for about $500. In America I would expect to pay $300 or less. My largest Tumi suitcase (which is the largest bag they make) cost about $900.

Check Costco, they often carry Tumi carry-on bags and have good prices. Otherwise I shop on Ebay, there are a few luggage shops which sell there, and they have closeout sales on previous year's models and such.

That price is a little out of the ballpark, even here in Japan (where everything is outrageously overpriced), you can get a good carry-on model for about $500. In America I would expect to pay $300 or less. My largest Tumi suitcase (which is the largest bag they make) cost about $900.

Check Costco, they often carry Tumi carry-on bags and have good prices. Otherwise I shop on Ebay, there are a few luggage shops which sell there, and they have closeout sales on previous year's models and such.
Tumi bags are extremely expensive even in the USA. Travelpro makes good luggage in fact if you look at what most pilots and stewards carry in airports you will find most of them use Travelpro luggage

Another option is a Crumpler... the 7M home wont fit 2 gripped bodies, but it can fit most of it. This last weekend I toted around the following in my 7 million dollar home. I carried my FE and one of the lenses below around.
D80 + Grip (not on the camera)
50mm
28mm (mounted on FE)
18-200 (Mounted on D80)
180mm
300mm
17mm
Huge 2nd bag that I was returning
hair gel
deodorant
extra shirt
4 rolls of film
SB600
notebook pens
plastic bags.

This sucker was heavy and packed. The velcro did not connect, but the 2 clips held the bag closed quite well

I plan on using this bag for travel as you can fit your camera stuff in the compartment, and the clothes on top as a buffer. You can slip a netbook on top if you really snug it in... but i dont particularly recommend it.

daniel

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I think I may have to default with my normal lightweight suitcase. Putting D300, D700, 24-70, 70-200, 85/1.4, batteries, two flashes, etc all adds up and I don't have any real allowance left for clothes.

I'm flying over on Ryanair which are notorious for being cheap but really ripping you off the second you give them a chance, so I'm not going to risk going over 10kg.

I'm currently at about 7kg with the case + camera gear so that leaves only 3kg for clothes. Should just about make it

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom