Which Arca style clamps and plates?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by afx, Jun 27, 2007.

1. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Hi,
    as my FLM plates&clamp are not really Arca compatible I want to switch to a system that has a wider compatibility range. (As a preparation of expanding my supports with a monopod and finally using my window head)

RRS and Kirk are the first that come to my mind. Price for the plates is identical, clamps are slightly more expensive at RRS. Unfortunately the RRS B2 Pro II with the level will not fit my Acratech head. ;-( Oh well, I could live with that and just use the B2 Pro.
    The plates from RRS look sturdier and seem to have more options for expansions via additional threads. Kirk has the cheaper clamps (especially one with a level). Should I mix?

Markins is also an alternative, but I need to find a decently priced US source first (I'll buy stateside, in Europe this is way overpriced).
    Acratech plates and clamps are overpriced compared to the others.

Has anyone done side by side comparison of the clamps and plates of these manufacturers?
    Would dovetail plates from Burzinsky fit in there?

thx
    afx

2. I use Wimberley...

3. I like Wimberley clamps and plates.

4. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks, that is interesting. I had registered Wimberley only for the head.
    So does the camera plate really work compared to camera specific plates?
    I would expect it to be slightly more wobbly due to the rubber and not as twist save as plates that provide a mechanical interlock.

cheers
    afx

5. I have tried all three of the manufacturers and they all make fine equipment. The important thing is to use the little stopper screws they have at the end compared to cheap plates. If something goes wring that can save your lens from falling!!!!

Having said that, I have used the replacement feet and plates from all three and the only one I didn't like was the Wimberley replacement foot for the 500mm AF-S I, it is so tight that you can't hold the lens in the grip with your hand, however that makes for the least vibrations...

6. Really Right Stuff. Excellent quality.

7. I use both Kirk and Really Right Stuff. I've never had a problem with any of the plates. Lately, I've preferred Kirk over RRS. Kirk's seem to fit a little better, and have the "cut aways" to make the plate a little lighter.

8. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
  9. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    i got everything from kirk.
    300/4 AFS collar, plates for my macro, tele and camera and a QRC-3 ontop of my novoflex cb5.

basically, i've choosen kirk, because the 300/4 afs i got from mcs already had a kirk collar, so i thought that by using only kirk clamps and plates i will have less potential of trouble :)
    i am very satisfied as the quality is really superb.

btw, have you removed the front safety screw from the collar with a power drill?? :)

10. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Hmm,
    I don't understand the question...

cheers
    afx

11. :redface: Unfortunately yes, it was interfering with my Miniconnect (and withstood all tries of removing it). Sorry!

BTW:
    Welcome to the Cafe kanzlr!

How do you like the CB5? I still try to decide between cb5 or cb3 at the moment. I've still doubt that the CB3 will prove strong enough for my macrowork? At the moment using Monfrotto 190 but want to upgrade to Berlebach soon....

I will be visiting the Novoflex-factory tomorrow to buy one. :confused:

12. Another Austrian :smile: ... welcome kanzlr!

:confused: Michael, your love with the 300/f4 didn't last long as it seems? Not enough reach?

13. Strongly agree on both points!

14. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    *wink* :)

i just replaced a 190xprob + 486RC2 with a Wolf Compact 8013 (www.holzstative.de) and the CB5.

the CB5 is excellent. super smooth with this combination, but i have never handled a CB3. i tought it would be a good idea to get the best head in the first place :)

hm...maybe i drill a new thread and add a new screw... *g*

the 300 is excellent, btw.

regarding the quickreleases: i tought about the novoflex Qmount (arca compatible), but in the end my fear of incompatibilities won kirk a customer :)
    ironic, because interoperability is a strong argument for arca mounts...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  15. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Funnily enough, my supposedly Arca compatible FLM plates (which are definitely not Arca compatible) still work in the Graf clamp including the safety pin. And Graf is very much Arca compatible.
    All those subtle differences....

cheers
    afx

16. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    well, i think we need an ISO standard :)

17. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    i also just noticed that my kirk plate (the non-L-bracket version for the MB-D200) has a loop to attach a handstrap.

I AM SAVED!

on my minolta i had two handstraps, one on the camera grip and one on the horizontal grip. with the D200 i couldnt have any (aside from the weird aftermarked thingies with tripod mount). now my minolta HS-1 has a new use and whenever i use my D200 in landscape orientation i can put my hand underneat this nice piece of leather and dream of the good old days :)

thanks Kirk!