1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which backpack do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danameless, Jul 26, 2009.

1. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I want to get a new backpack (currently have a older cheap one from when I first started), and curious on which ones everyone here uses and what they like or don't like about it?

I am considering the Think Tank Streetwalker, but want to see it person to see how big it is. I don't want a backpacke that is huge. I bought the Tamrac Expedition 6x before and returned it because it was much bigger than what I want it to be, mainly because I think the depth of it was 12" or more. Also, I was hoping to get something with a little bit of color and the TT is all black.

I also looked at a Lowepro (400SW I think?) at B&H, and I liked how that as well. I liked how the zipper was on the side of the bag that presses against your back when wearing it for security reasons (don't have to worry about people opening up your bag). However, this can also be a minus since it seems like a pain when you want to take something our quickly.

2. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I have a lowepro that I only use to hike Looong distances. Otherwise they take to long to get your gear out. Maybe go with a sling style pack or a waist pack. Good luck, bags are a very personal decision.

3. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    TBH I hate backpacks, it just guarantees you're bringing more gear than you really need. (Unless you're a professional shooter that needs all that gear). Do you really need to bring all your photo gear every time you go out?

4. I've never been a backpack person.....until I discovered the ThinkTank ShapeShifter, which suits me quite well! It's not big and bulky and it carries what I need. I also have the "Skin" set, too, and sometimes combine the ShapeShifter and a pouch or two.

5. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    I use the Lowepro Fastpack 200. It suits my needs very well and is fairly inexpensive.

6. Lowepro Rover AW II for me. It's been incredibily versatile and comfortable and all my gear that I want to carry goes in the bottom section and the top section can be used for anything... lunch, coat, etc. I even carry my netbook in a sleeve in the top section most of the time and no issues. I find it just about perfect and anything else that will carry more gear gets too heavy for me anyways. Cheers!

7. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    LOwePro....

I have a very large LowePro Pro Trekker AW.....it is great for being gone for a few days or weeks at a time......for short daily runs of shooting i use 2 lowepro toploader 75 AW's on a military pistol belt with matching suspenders.......the belt and suspenders came from a local army surplus store......gotthe 75AW off ebay on sale for around $50 and the belt and suspenders were under$20......I saved close to $100 off buying locallyand also not buying the belt and harness syste3m from LowePro......this was my set up for motocycling and now is my standard shooting set.:smile:

8. I have

- Lowepro NatureTrekker AW-II that I use to carry all the gear I need when I go on long trips

- Lowepro Orion but that is too small for the bodies I have now

- Lowepro Rover AW-II that has seen a lot of the world but misses the possibility to take a laptop on week-long trips

- Lowepro Fastpack 350 for those trips that I want to take a laptop with me. It also has the space to store my 70-200VR or 300/4 mounted

- A National Geographic medium sized shoulderbag which I use for walks around town

- A Lowepro TLZ1 (doesn't fit my D700) and ThinkTank Digital Holster to carry just a body and single lens. Also ThinkTank belt with pouches when I want to take some additional lenses

And I don't think this is the end :biggrin:

9. I have a love hate relationship with backpacks. I love how they safely hold my gear and stay in place when I am scrambling over big boulders or hiking a long distance hike. But I hate that my gear isn't very easily accessed.

I have the Lowepro Photo Trekker.

10. I switched not too long ago from a Slingshot 300 to the Mini Trekker AW. Haven't looked back since.

11. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW : just when I'm out shooting BMX (for PJ I use a Domke F2)

Pros : it can carry a lot of gear

Cons : it can carry a lot of gear :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  12. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    I have a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW.
    Only medium happy with it, because it is really big, yet it doesn't really have rooms and space for all the little extras I like to bring. For instance, with such a big backpack you'd think that it was possible to add a room on the outside where I could stick a sweater or jacket or a book or the tax-free allowance or something, but no, they've put two long narrow compartments with room for almost nothing (CF cards and batteries in a pinch).

But it's big and takes all my gear and it has a rain cover and a strap cover for when I have to check it in (which is more often than I like *because* it's so big)...

If you don't KNOW that you need one, get a smaller one.

13. I use a Lowepro Flipside 300 to carry all my gear

but use the Lowepro Street & Field belt/harness combo to carry my gear when I'm actually out shooting

14. For holding "all my gear" when I travel (i.e. to safely put it in the car), I have a Tenba medium shootout backpack.

For specific shooting (i.e. I only need a few things), and for an upcoming trip to the Galapagos, I just picked up a Lowepro Fastpack 350. It holds D3 with 300/4 mounted, plus 14-24, 28-70 and several smaller primes. Also has room up top for "people stuff" (food, water bottles, bugscreen......or a Jon Lester bobble-head statue from the Pawsox game :tongue: ).

15. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Kata R-103 for the woods.
    Lowepro Minitrekker Classic for carrying lots of gear to a sporting event. It's more compact than the R-103 so is better for stuffing under a seat, etc.

16. I own the Kata $-102. I also own a Think Tank Antidote.

I prefer the Think Tank because it holds more gear--including my D700 with 300 2.8 attached.

My Kata R-102 is in excellent condition. Since I rarely use it (having the Think Tank), it's for sale. If you are interested, please send my a private message.

Thanks,
    Glenn

17. SteveAikens

SteveAikens

Jan 4, 2009
    Clovis, NM
    Never been a "backpack-kinda-guy". Then again, I've tried a lot of crap backpacks. When I bought my 70-200 2.8, I had a problem with it forcing a larger bag than what I had been using.

Enter ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro.

Finally, a backpack bag that 1) doesn't look like a photo gear bag and more importantly 2) is actually comfortable to wear.

This thing holds everything I want to drag along and is easy to work with. My only comment that I would call a negative is the attachment system they have for the tripod is a pain in the rump to work with. otherwise, I'm really happy with this one.

18. Lowepro Vertex 200 AW for me: I put books &c in the laptop compartment :smile:

19. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I don't usually bring all my gear everytime I go out, only the stuff I need for what I plan on shooting. But I do walk a lot in the city when I am shooting, and sometimes with the 6MDH, which is a messenger-style bag - it gets heavy on the shoulders and not as comfortable. I also prefer a backpack to carry by gear when I am traveling as well since it offers more protection than the 6MDH and has a place for a tripod.

Also, I plan on picking up another couple of lens in the next month or so and all my gear won't fit in the 6MDH, so a backpack will also act as storage for all my gear at home when not in use neither.

I'm considering the Streetwalker, not the pro. I think the Pro might be a tad bigger than what I am looking for. I stopped by B&H over the weekend, but they don't carry TT, so have to go someplace else to check it out.

20. IO just got A Tamrac Expedition 8x. It is enormous, but sturdy. I only plan on using it for my portable studio setup, but for everyday a use a crumpler shoulder bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.