Which backpack do you use?

I'm considering the Streetwalker, not the pro. I think the Pro might be a tad bigger than what I am looking for. I stopped by B&H over the weekend, but they don't carry TT, so have to go someplace else to check it out.
Unfortunately, TT bags are hard to locate to check out. The difference in the Streetwalker and the Pro are actually pretty minimal. The SW Hard Drive is too much for me but the added room in the Pro is nice to have. I don't carry everything all the time - just what I need. However, when it's really loaded up, the extra space is welcome and the bag is just as easy to work with.

Excellent quality from TT, regardless which product you choose.

Unfortunately, TT bags are hard to locate to check out. The difference in the Streetwalker and the Pro are actually pretty minimal. The SW Hard Drive is too much for me but the added room in the Pro is nice to have. I don't carry everything all the time - just what I need. However, when it's really loaded up, the extra space is welcome and the bag is just as easy to work with.

Excellent quality from TT, regardless which product you choose.
Adorama and K&M carry Think Tank, so might stop by and check them out. I ordered the Tamrac 6x without looking at it first, and it was way too big for what I wanted it to be.

I've been using one of the new Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85 for a while now. I have been quite satisfied with it. In the photo compartment area I usually have a D40 with 18-200 attached, a Tamron 90, Sigma 30, 2 large flashes and one SB-400 plus various accessories. This is before you even add the top misc compartment and the laptop area. I've been hiking (short day hikes nothing long as there is no hip strap for support) and all over with this bag and it has been holding up well so far.

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_speedpacks.htm

I have the LowePro Computrekker Plus AW. Pretty well-made, it has survived several trips well.

As someone else has pointed out, its biggest plus AND its biggest minus is that it can hold a ton of gear. Literally... or at least that's what it feels like. The bag's straps and suspension system are less-than-ideal for the weight it can carry, IMO, and it is quite cumbersome to handle when NOT on your back.

Since I often want lots of gear with me, and am rarely doing really rugged wilderness trekking, I recently purchased the Airport Security case from ThinkTankPhoto.com. It's an air-traveller-style roller case, but built like a tank from the ground up for heavy photo gear. It just completed its maiden voyage, a 10,000km road trip (no airplanes) during which I threw it in an out of a truck hundreds of times and dragged it over all sorts of terrain in national parks. It stood up very well. A bonus is that it has built-in straps for wearing it as a backpack, definitely NOT for a long trek but comfortable enough to walk short distances wearing it.

Sometimes, though, I just want to take a few things with me and walk up a trail. I have some good shoulder bags, but given my unbridled delight with the Airport Security bag I've started looking at a backpack made by ThinkTankPhoto called the Shape Shifter. Like the Airport Security, it seems to have a number of features that experienced photographers would suggest. Haven't seen one in "real life" yet, but it looks darned good on their web site.

Good luck with your purchase!

As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, I have the ShapeShifter and I love it! I normally am not that keen on backpacks but this one is unique in that it's much more flexible than the usual style. Inside there are pouches, rather than dividers, for one's lenses and camera, and there are also many pockets for stashing various items. It's not a huge, bulky backpack, and for me, a small person, that is just fine. I can carry the D3, 70-200mm VR, 24-70 and a couple other lenses in it without any problem, plus the usual lot of accessories (CF cards, extra battery or two, etc.).

It's a terrific backpack and I highly recommend the ShapeShifter.

Just bought a Loweprow Inverse 200 AW waist pack from a great company to deal with: sellnsend.com. I have a slightly torn tendon in my right shoulder, so a waistpack it had to be! Backpack won't work, shoulder pack, not comfortable, sling/backpack would work but I liked this option for me best. I'll let you know (those who like waist packs) how this works out. I hope well!

Lowepro Slingshot 100. I should have listened to all of the reviews and purchased at least the 200 if not the 300.

Though, "all" of my gear fits in the 100.

Just bought a Loweprow Inverse 200 AW waist pack from a great company to deal with: sellnsend.com. I have a slightly torn tendon in my right shoulder, so a waistpack it had to be! Backpack won't work, shoulder pack, not comfortable, sling/backpack would work but I liked this option for me best. I'll let you know (those who like waist packs) how this works out. I hope well!
I like the waistpacks from ThinkTank as well, but I don't think it will hold all my gear if I need it to. They are only good for if you are only bringing a few things, no?

I have the Kata R-103. Nice pack that protects everything well and has a separate compartment for a laptop. Currently it is holding a d-200 with 85 1.8 attached, 35 1.8, 50 1.8, 180 2.8, Tamron 90 macro, Sigma 10-20, SB800, SB900, battery charger, extra filters, memory cards and various other junk. It can fit on its side in the larger overhead bins (international flights) which is a plus on crowded flights.

Check out http://www.cambags.com -lots of reviews.

I always think I don't like backpacks.
Then I go without a backpack.
I then sorely miss my backpack.

Lowepro is my pack of choice.

Microtrekker 100....tiny....D3 and 3-4 lenses.
Minitrekker AW....body with 70-200 mounted and more lenses than I need.
Dryzone 200.....can ditch on the Waverunner or kayak and things are secure.

To each their own, but I love my backpacks and more-so when without one.

I have the tamrac adventure 7. It has worked out pretty good for me, but I am definitely outgrowing it. I love it for the airplane. I can stuff my random stuff on the top pouch and still have me gear with me.

I have a lowepro minitrekker classic that I have never used as a "backpack." Its just a good padded case to keep my gear from getting banged up inside my car.

If I am actually hiking with my camera, I stick it in a shoulder bag inside one of my hiking packs (Black Diamond 27L, Mountain Hardwear 40L, Lowe Alpine 55L).

I use Lowepro Fastpack 350 too, but love still love the Tenba shoulder pack, the only down side of backpack is easy to build up heat at your back.

I use the Lowepro Mini Trekker or Micro Trekker, depending on how much stuff I want to carry. I've used each of them for many hours at a time, but more often than not I use them only for a relatively brief period and then transfer some of the contents to a shoulder bag.

In my earlier post in this thread I said I was interested in the ShapeShifter by Think Tank Photo. Well now I own one.

Like the Think Tank Airport Security bag, the ShapeShifter seems unusually well-made and well thought-out.

For starters, it can carry my Lenovo Thinkpad W700, a powerful 17" computer made especially for photographers and designers but sized in HECTARES, not inches. (OK, 16.1 X 12.2 X 1.6) No other bag I've found could hold this computer.

Inside, the bag could be considered tailor made for two bodies and Nikon's "holy trinity" of lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) or the Canon equivalent (as if they could get even close! :)) Other interior pockets and several exterior pockets can hold a wealth of accessories (lights, cards, blower, filters, releases, etc.)

Some people might complain, though, that the bag is TOO tailor-made for a setup like the one above since it's main compartment has just five soft coddling pouches to carry such a setup; there are no configurable dividers here. It's made for carrying two bodies and three lenses, or one body and four lenses. By pre-wrapping gear you might be able to sneak in another lens or two, but then one of this bag's great features - fast easy in-out - would be compromised.

The bag seems very comfortable too, though it has so far only trekked around my kitchen several times. My kitchen is pretty big.

The "ShapeShifter" feature of the bag refers to its ability to shrink its main compartment *IF* the main camera gear is removed from it. So if you prefer at times to use the bag just for a computer and an impressive assortment of computer and camera accessories, carrying bodies and lenses somewhere else, then with a quick zip the bag compresses to just a few inches in thickness. It looks better and becomes easier to handle, and probably carries better too.

As a primary grab-n-go bag for predictable assignments requiring the basics, it seems perfect. I'll use it as a satellite bag - quickly toss in a body and some lenses and head to the shooting location - as well as probably a permanent home for computer and many accessories.

Nope, despite posting two enthusiastic reviews I don't work for Think Tank Photo, but I'm very impressed with their products and think that any photograher should look at them before purchasing one of the ubiquitous LowePro or other widely-distributed bags.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I *DESPISE* dedicated photo backpacks. I use a regular daypack (North Face Recon, but I have an older model) which is plenty large enough for my photogear. I just keep my lens in neoprene bags that you can get from B&H so they stay padded. Admittedly I only carry two lens (sometimes three), two 800s, and one camera body.

In my earlier post in this thread I said I was interested in the ShapeShifter by Think Tank Photo. Well now I own one.

Like the Think Tank Airport Security bag, the ShapeShifter seems unusually well-made and well thought-out.

For starters, it can carry my Lenovo Thinkpad W700, a powerful 17" computer made especially for photographers and designers but sized in HECTARES, not inches. (OK, 16.1 X 12.2 X 1.6) No other bag I've found could hold this computer.

Inside, the bag could be considered tailor made for two bodies and Nikon's "holy trinity" of lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) or the Canon equivalent (as if they could get even close! :)) Other interior pockets and several exterior pockets, can hold a wealth of accessories (lights, cards, blower, filters, releases, etc.)

Some people might complain, though, that the bag is TOO tailor-made for a setup like the one above since it's main compartment has just six soft coddling pouches to carry such a setup; there are no configurable dividers here. It's made for carrying two bodies and three lenses, or one body and four lenses. By pre-wrapping gear you might be able to sneak in another lens or two, but then one of this bag's great features - fast easy in-out - would be compromised.

The bag seems very comfortable too, though it has so far only trekked around my kitchen several times. My kitchen is pretty big.

The "ShapeShifter" feature of the bag refers to its ability to shrink its main compartment *IF* the main camera gear is removed from it. So if you prefer at times to use the bag just for a computer and an impressive assortment of computer and camera accessories, carrying bodies and lenses somewhere else, then with a quick zip the bag compresses to just a few inches in thickness. It looks better and becomes easier to handle, and probably carries better too.

As a primary grab-n-go bag for predictable assignments requiring the basics, it seems perfect. I'll use it as a satellite bag - quickly toss in a body and some lenses and head to the shooting location - as well as probably a permanent home for computer and many accessories.

Nope, despite posting two enthusiastic reviews I don't work for Think Tank Photo, but I'm very impressed with their products and think that any photograher should look at them before purchasing one of the ubiquitous LowePro or other widely-distributed bags.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, a nice thorough review always helps me decide. I thought about this model too, but the little pouches looked a little iffy, and not sure if I wanted to be limited by the size of the pouches. As I mentioned in a earlier post, I am also thinking about the streetwalker from TT, so I'll check them both out when I have a chance to go down to Adorama (B&H doesn't carry TT).

Personally I *DESPISE* dedicated photo backpacks. I use a regular daypack (North Face Recon, but I have an older model) which is plenty large enough for my photogear. I just keep my lens in neoprene bags that you can get from B&H so they stay padded. Admittedly I only carry two lens (sometimes three), two 800s, and one camera body.
I have a recon bag too but I don't think I could use it as a camera bag. Putting everything into a large pocket and having them bang against each other will bother me too much to be comfortable while I'm shooting. Personally, I'm not a fan of the ones that "look" like a camera backpack - which is one of the reasons why I like the think tanks, since they don't look like a camera backpack.

i love the kata bags have a 3in20 but i mostly use my 467
i use the computer bit to store magazines and manuals

also have a lowepro aw which i use when out in the country

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom