Which bag for my needs

Now that I'm back with my Nikon D5100, i need to pick up a bag for my upcoming trip.

I'll likely only have a very minimal setup for the trip, but i would like a little room to expand once I pick up another lens or two.

D5100 w/ Kit Lens
50mm 1.8
1-2 Filters
iPad
Small Manfrotto Tripod (doesn't have to attach to the bag, but I wouldn't hurt)

My primary concern is comfort. I used to have a Crumpler MDH6 and while i liked it, it wasnt terribly comfortable after a long day of usage as i tended to lean on the bag. I think i would like to go for either a backpack, sling or combo of the two. Trying to stay under $100 if possible - the cheaper the better. I also wouldnt mind a little room to store some small items for trips (small water, little things i pick up, sunglasses, etc)

I've looked into the following a bit, but I'm totally open to suggestions;

Think Tank Retrospective 10 or 20 ($150 - more than I want to spend, but seems to get good reviews for comfort, even though its a messenger style)
Kata 3in1 ($80 - not a huge fan of its looks, especially of how narrow it seems to be, but is it comfortable?)
Kata KT DR-467i ($57 after rebate, looks comfortable?) - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...R_467I_BB_KT_DR_467I_BB_Digital_Rucksack.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The TT Retro will be very similar to the Crumpler 6MDH in terms of comfort to carry. So, I'd look at one of the Kata backpacks. I have the Kata 3N1 30 and have used it for many trips and been quite happy with it. But, I think the 467 will be more comfortable to carry. I tried that bag once in the camera store and really liked it, but it wasn't big enough to carry my 70-200 2.8 lens so I went with the 3N1 instead. Based on the gear you listed and comfort being a priority, the 467 looks like the best bag for your needs.

After looking at the 467i, my only concern is where the camera pouch is located. Would that be super easy for a thief to steal my camera? Its just kinda sticking right out there.

I'll be bringing the bag to Seattle later this month, as well as Edinburgh and London next month. I've been to London a few times before so i'm weary of the pick pockets, but I feel like the 467 might be a bit dangerous?

In that case, look at one of the Lowepro flipside backpacks. They come in various sizes and still should be within your budget.

In that case, look at one of the Lowepro flipside backpacks. They come in various sizes and still should be within your budget.

The flipsides look great for protection, but I dunno if i like that the entire pack is meant for photo gear. I think i would like something of a combo (normal storage + photography equipment cubbies)

Gonna look more into the 3 in 1 as well. Thanks for the help thus far!

Personally, I love the 3N1-30 (versatile and comfortable because of the many ways you can wear it, holds a pro body, and has enough room for extras), but I'm not sure it'll be big enough for an iPad unless the iPad is at a weird orientation. You might look at the 3N1-22 which can also hold a netbook or the 3N1-33 which can hold a laptop. The 3N1-22 should be more than enough bag for your present kit, but if you plan to add lenses and other accessories (and what photog doesn't?), then you might want to consider the 3N1-33.

My two cents.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom