Which ball head?

I need to buy a ball head for around $100, I know it's not much but that's all I can spend right now, it's that or nothing :p

I found these two which seem decent, but is there anything better for the price? I really like the arca-swiss ones, but just can't afford that right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655333-REG/Induro_479_000_BHD0_Ballhead.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660311-REG/Manfrotto_498RC2_498RC2_Midi_Ball_Head.html

I don't like how "tall" the manfrotto is.. and how small the ball looks. but maybe it's better quality?

Personally I think that with that budget you're better off with a 3-way head. It might not be as convenient as a ball head but dealing with a ball head that's constantly creeping and sagging (or even flopping over) isn't really that great either.

I have the 488RC2, use it on 055/190 tripods, with D300/D700 with heavy lenses, and I like it for its price range. ($130). B&H shows as discontinued, but Amazon shows stock.....

I have the 488RC2, use it on 055/190 tripods, with D300/D700 with heavy lenses, and I like it for its price range. ($130). B&H shows as discontinued, but Amazon shows stock.....

does it work ok with the 70-200 on your bodies? I have a 300s. considering i only have 100 to spend on a head i think i might go for it...

Not so fast.. check out the Giottos MH-1302-655 , for $100 you get an arca-compatible head that has friction, panning base, and even a QR plate. I've seen one in the store and I'm impressed with its build, but I have never actually used one. For $100 it's worth a shot. Reviews HERE and HERE

As a sidenote, I've owned the 486, 488 and 494RC2's and hated them. I scrape my knuckle against the camera plate everytime I adjust the head. The BH's are good for monopod setups though, but for landscape type shooting, I'd go with an arca-swiss head + L-plate anyday! That Manfrotto is a pain to adjust. Although if you can save a little bit more, I would totally step up to the Photo Clam PC-33NS ($179), I have it and absolutely LOVE it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reccomend that you continue to save $$. Your 70-200 probably wouldn't look good on the ground. GH

Not so fast.. check out the Giottos MH-1302-655 , for $100 you get an arca-compatible head that has friction, panning base, and even a QR plate. I've seen one in the store and I'm impressed with its build, but I have never actually used one. For $100 it's worth a shot. Reviews HERE and HERE

I used to own the larger brother of that model, the MH1300-657. For the money, it was certainly very good, though it had a bit of sag, and not the best weight/load ratio. The Photoclam PC-40 I use now solved both of those issues, as well as being smoother with a nicer control setup, albeit at twice the cost.

Another inexpensive ballhead to look at is the Joby Ballhead X. It is Arca-compatible, comes with a QR plate, and is a lot tougher than you'd think. I've even used a 300/2.8 on it in a pinch, though I mostly got it as a low-weight option for backpacking with minimal gear.

I used to own the larger brother of that model, the MH1300-657. For the money, it was certainly very good, though it had a bit of sag, and not the best weight/load ratio.

I owned the MH1300 as well (still do but it took a single drop to reduce it to a paperweight) and I agree that it tends to sag a little bit. And this is a ballhead with a base that's 50% larger than the MH1302.

I have one of the Benro heads (same as Induro), and find it is a decent head. It supports my D7000 and Tamron 70-300 VC or Nikkor 180 f/2.8 easily.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom