1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which beltpack/waistpack to buy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alan, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm looking for a camera waistpack, much like you see being used by alot of photographers on football fields. I'm finding plenty out there, but can't decide which it better. I'll be storing a 70-200 2.8, 50 1.8, Teleconverter and a SB600. I'm sure some of you must have used these. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
  3. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    ThinkTank (my preference) and Kinesis both offer very good belt systems. Getting the weight off your shoulders and onto your hips is very liberating. It's almost like there's nothing there.

4. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Think Tank definitely has some nice gear. You can also check out www.m-rock.com as well.

5. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks for the suggestions. Any others?

6. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    I have the LowePro Photorunner...it works fine for me....much of it depends on how much stuff you need to 'stuff' in to the pack. :wink:

7. I've studied these quite a bit in the past and the two best systems have been named already - ThinkTank and Kinesis.

I've used LowePro Street and Field series stuff in the past, but I've settled on ThinkTank - you won't go wrong with either ThinkTank or Kinesis.

In the ThinkTank line, a Speed Racer (or one of the other Speed-"x" models) is nice if you want a larger bag attached to a belt that can take add-on accessories and double as a shoulder bag, or you can go completely modular with their Pro Speed Belt based system.

I both have a Speed Racer and a Pro Speed Belt, with a wide variety of the add-on bags - I use the belt modular approach more often. I also have several of their other bag types - Urban Disguise, Airport Antidote and Glass Taxi :redface: - they're all very well designed and made.

8. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks Ron. I'm looking at the Speed Demon or the Speed Freak. I still want to look at the Kinesis also.

9. With the Think Tank Pro Belt, do you prefer the skin or padded pouches?

10. Haven't tried the "Skin" version Greg. The padded ones aren't as thick as some others I've used/seen (like LowePro S&F series), but I like to have at least some padding.

11. I received the LowePro belt and several lens containers as a Christmas present. The Lens pouches are huge even without a lens, I haven't used in in two years

12. Kata W-92 or the W-94. The 94 is slightly bigger but it does not come with a shoulder strap like the 92. I love these bags. I own the 92, however, I hate fanny or waistpacks, so I always carry the Kata by the shoulder strap. But it is a very capable waistpack and will hold a lot. Plus, they are very unusual and kind of cool looking, if you are into that sort of thing. :cool: 

13. Kata H-14

I second Kata bags. They're indestructable, well designed and well-made. They're big in military bags. I use the H-14 which is a holster bag. It comes with all the stuff for a belt but I use it as a shoulder harness. They've got a new H-16 coming out soon that's a bit bigger but the H-14 is big enoufh for my D200 with my Nikkor 18-200VR on it, my SB600 and my SU800 as well as a few loose things. Very nice for walking around and with its raincoat it's great for all this wet weather we're getting up here in Ontario.

Bruce

14. Yep Bruce, I forgot to mention the rain cover. Most Kata bags come with them and on the waistpacks, they are built into a pouch and when it starts to rain you just slip them over the entire bag and the bottom has an elastic binding for a snug fit.

15. My vote is for the Lowepro street ad field series. It's a very versatile system that also works with their numerous bags, vests, etc.

Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.