Which body to convert?

I'm looking for a little advice. Here's the story: I already have one IR converted body (D100), but it's getting a bit long in the tooth (already had to swap out the shutter assembly). I've also got a D200, a D700 and a D800. I had planned on converting the D200 to IR so that I had a newer IR body. I figured the D200 made the most sense since as the oldest non-IR body in my bag, it's not getting much use. But the fact is, at this point, the D700 isn't getting much use either. I'm pretty much using the D800 and the IR D100. So that got me thinking, should I skip the D200 and convert the D700 to IR? It's a full frame sensor, has higher resolution (by a little bit anyway), and is a newer body. It will last longer, and produce slightly larger images.

So here are my questions (besides general comments):

Has anyone converted a D700 for IR?
If so, how has it performed?
Do you think the plan makes sense?

My counter argument is that if my D800 has to go in for repair, I'll still have a full frame color body, the D700, to fall back on. Does that make sense? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I've read that the D700 has IR conversion problems... something about the shutter timing system using IR, and than contaminates the converted sensor. There is a good explanation on the LifePixel site. The D200 is a little old for such an investment, but... the D800 would make an OUTSTANDING.... just thinking... :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've read that the D700 has IR conversion problems... something about the shutter timing system using IR, and than contaminates the converted sensor. There is a good explanation on the LifePixel site. The D200 is a little old for such an investment, but... the D800 would make an OUTSTANDING.... just thinking... :)
Thanks for the comment. No way I'm converting the D800. I may pick up a D800E at some point in the future for that purpose, but I've got to have a D800 for color shots.

Dave

Real Name
Chris
I had a converted D70, and it was da bomb! D70 and earlier were CCD sensors, which were more sensitive to IR than they were to visible light. D700, and later are CMOS technology, and I'm not sure about the cameras in between. I am of the understanding that CMOS sensors are not as good at IR as are CCDs.

Anyone know if this is correct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a converted D70, and it was da bomb! D70 and earlier were CCD sensors, which were more sensitive to IR than they were to visible light. D700, and later are CMOS technology, and I'm not sure about the cameras in between. I am of the understanding that CMOS sensors are not as good at IR as are CCDs.

Anyone know if this is correct?
My D100 is fantastic, but I understand the D70 was even better for IR... less noise and hot pixels.

Dave

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I just sold a converted D70s and purchased a used D7000 and had it converted.

Give LifePixels a call and speak with them. They are very knowledgeable about the different Nikon bodies and the pro's and con's of each. I spoke with
Daniel Malkin and he was quite helpful.

While the newer Nikon (and Canon) bodies have more problems setting a correct white balance for IR, as long as you use the branded raw conversion software (NX2 for Nikon) you can adjust the white balance of the raw, then process with your desired post processing software.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
I've converted my D70 and it works great.
IIRC the D200 uses a CCD sensor, too, so that'd be my recommendation.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom