Which brand p/s?

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by LDB415, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Nikon

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Canon

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Olympus

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Pentax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other, see comments

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    There seems to be a consensus that Nikon p/s aren't as good as their dslr's so here's the question. If you have or are going to purchase a p/s, what brand is it or will it be and why? All comments are welcomed and appreciated. I know it won't be complete but I'm going to put some in a poll. Comments can fill in if needed.

2. Hi,

I just bought the Canon G9. It gets great reviews, shoots raw, has a viewfinder as well as LCD, is small enough that I can carry it in a smallish belt case and yet is comfortable for me to hold and has image stabilization. This camera hands down has to be one of the best PS out there, giving you many shooting options like you would find on DSLRs. It is a little pricey at about $450-$500, but you get what you pay for. It also has some interesting options like the ability to plug the camera into a wall outlet and shoot to power it, great if you do table top photography and don't want to use your DSLR. Or, for about $175, a real underwater housing that is rated to 130'. You can also get third party RRS or Kirk Arca plates/'L' brackets for this camera. The camera has a built in flash and a hot shoe that takes Canon speed lights. I wanted a camera that would take quality photos, easy to carry when I was at work (as a paramedic), had a viewfinder (I find LCD screens very difficult to use outside during the day), and would easily fit in a small Pelican case or have its own waterproof case that I could use when the environment/water was too rough for me to take my usual DSLR set-up (D2Xs with 70-200 2.8 and TC or 80-400 and 17-55) in the kayak where I do about 75% of my shooting. So far, the only minus I have found is that the viewfinder only shows 80% of the captured image (LCD has 100% coverage) and it takes about 2 seconds to boot up when turning the camera on cold. But, for me, this is a good compromise because it has a viewfinder.

There are many PS out there and you have to look at why you want the camera and what features/options are most important and then make compromises. I also found that Nikon did not have a PS in this league. Leica has the D-Lux 3, about $100 more than the Canon G9 and no viewfinder. The Leica is also made by Panasonic and Panasonic has a similar camera in their line (don't remember the model number). This is a very small PS, about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Regards,

3. I highly recommend the Canon Powershot series. I have owned the Canon Powershot SD800 IS for 18 months, and I love the snapshots it takes. I needed a camera that I could easily carry in a bicycle jersey pocket, or in my purse, and it has more than fit the bill. Just last week I bought a Canon A590IS to give as a gift, and have played around with it. Though it is not as streamlined in design, it has many of the features as the SD800 except it uses AA batteries instead of a Canon rechargeable unit. It seems to take photos that are as good as my model, and it's extraordinarily easy to use. It's pretty amazing to see what $153 will get you. Another friend of mine bought a Canon SD950 IS about 2 months ago, on my recommendation, and he has given it rave reviews. So, in my experience, Canon has the market on compact digital point-&-shoots, and Nikon is king of the DSLR.

Mary

4. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    OK, somebody cheated and marked other without talking about it. :Sheriff:

5. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    i have a canon SD-300 point and shoot. its very well made small and works well at base iso. they even have a waterresistance case that I got for it for use in the desert-swiming pool. its alot of fun.

6. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    P&S Canon has virtual monopoly, you can't go wrong with any of current canon p&s especially A series or SD series

7. I have the Panasonic TZ-3 which is a great little point and shoot (I believe it may be the model Mary was alluding to). With good image stabilization (28-280mm zoom) and leica lens ... along with a 16:9 shooting format it is hard to go wrong.... Mind you, now I have bought the Beast, my D200 may as well be a big P&S as that lens does everything I want of it... and the Panasonic has not seen the light of day since.

8. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    Currently I have a Nikon Coolpix 775 which has performed very well over the years and I also have a Nikon P2 which is a great little pocket sized camera.

I have to admit that I've been lusting after a Canon G9 though. All the reports I've heard so far have been very positive. After I get my D300 I’ll probably get one.

9. mfletch

mfletch

Jul 16, 2007
    Texas
    Canon still seems to be the way to go for P&S IMO. I would love to have a G9. I currently have an A630. I'm very happy with the performance. I just don't use it quite enough to justify an upgrade.

10. Canon Powershot....have 2 of them that the wife and daughter use primarily, although I have also taken a few shots as well. Seem to work well and the photos are very acceptable. There are probably better alternatives but these seem to fit the price point/quality equation for me.

Ted

11. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    For a while I dumped the coolpix and went with the canon powershot SD line because they were so compact. I ended up buying several..but now that I am more into photography I noticed how bad the image quality is, even compared to my old coolpix 880. Now my main point and shoot is the Coolpix P5000. I know the Canon G series is really nice..but it is way to big and the price difference is almost double.

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Just Bought a Canon G9

Works like a charm, is built extremely solidly and Circuit City has them online for $429 ($499 in their stores)

13. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    I love my Sony W200

14. I own an Olympus SW 770 just so I can shoot in and uder water. Great beach and pool P&S. For every thing else I'll stick to my Nikon's.

15. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I love my Fuji f40.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.