Which camera started it all for you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candidcameraman, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I am sure this has been asked a few times before but this one here is what started it all for me when I was a kid. Now I have it and it still works. I will get the seals changed and the camera serviced get a B&W film and go shooting with this baby.

Yea, yea yea I know a Canon but hey, it worked great and still does. I love the shape and heaviness of the body, a really solid camera with great light metering and truly easy to use.

ATOners.

This was such an intuitive and easy camere to use.

2. My dad bought a Canon and Pentax while he was serving in Vietnam. I think he still has them somewhere, and I have been meaning to look for them. They are what I started off with and used one as recently as 1995 for a football game.

3. Epson Photo PC. 20 shot capacity, .24 megapixels.

4. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Olympus OM-10

5. I started off as a kid with cheap Kodak cameras. In 1968, I mowed lawns all summer long and saved my money and bought a Nikon F with a 50mm lens at a pawn shop. And I've been shooting Nikons ever since.

6. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I remember loving my Kodak 125 Instamatic, but it wasn't until I got an Olympus C-5050 (still have it), that I really started loving photography.

Lisa

7. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    Pentax ME Super. I sold it to help pay for my first DSLR, last year...

8. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I started off with a German 'Balda' 120 mm bellows camera and shot B & W exclusively for a few years and then "promoted" myself to a 35mm Praktika L2. I used the Praktika for a few years shooting weddings exclusively, before selling it off to buy a brand new Pentax MX (with a 50 f/1.4 lens) which I still have and works flawlessly. I then got a Nikon 6006 and the F100 before getting into digital with a D70 in 2003. The D70 is now a back up to my D2H.

9. My first "good" camera was a Chinon Genesis III. I got that one Christmas while I was still in high school. That is what started a serious interest in photography. Recently (within the past 3 years) I got back into photography when I bought an N65. Ever since then, I sold the N65 and replaced it with 8 camera bodies and 19 lenses.

God Bless,
    David

10. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    An olymopus OM-1n for me.

Dan

11. Minolta SRT-101

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  12. For me it was a horrible Russian Zenit. Not saying that Zenit's are bad, the one I had was horrible. I bought it in Hungary while on a trip while going to school in Italy. I think I paid about $30 US for it back in '94 at an open market and quickly learned life lesson #27, you get what you paid for. I am sure there are some out there who believe them to be good cameras but the one I bought was junk. Rarely in focus and the advance would get stuck so I would have double exposures as well as many other issues. Upon my return to the states and a year of saving I bought a Minolta at a pawn shop and iI haven't stopped since. I kinda wish I had saved that Zenit. It even came with a hard leather case with cool buckles.

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    my first SLR was a fujica st-605n. this was the camera that really got me into photography. i only had one lens for it, a 50mm f/2, and no flash unit. match needle metering can be so much fun :rolleyes: i sold the 605 to my cousin after two years, and it's still working after 27 years! i doubt that my D1 is going to live to half that age.

ricky

14. Kodak Disc 4000
    Camera_Kodak_Disc_4000_with_disc_film.

15. Olympus OM1 for me, then a Nikon F. Never looked back after that.

16. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    My first real camera was a Minolta SRT-101. I still have it somewhere. I had one Minolta lens, a JC Penny zoom and a Vivitar Flash. The flash still works but I've been afraid to put in on my D50.

17. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought my first SLR over 35 years ago and it was a Konica. It was stolen a couple of years later while living in Saudi Arabia so I bought a Nikon FE. Been shooting Nikon ever since. BTW, I still have the old FE and it still does a great job!

18. I had a Nikkormat....

19. First real camera was a Zorki 4K. I sold that to buy a Yashica FX-3 which was my first SLR. It should still be in a cupboard at my parents house. My longest serving camera is a Canon A-1 which I've used since 1981 and it's still going strong. My first Nikon was a Nikkormat FTn I got used in 1998.

Ronnie