Which crop and processing do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by daodang, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Yesterday, a little snow was falling over Montreal. I was in the Montreal Old Harbour hoping to capture some Christmas decorations. But nothing was lighted yet. So making good spirit out of bad fortune, I took this shot.

Here's a crop converted into B&W

Which one do you prefer? and why?

Thanks in advance.

2. I prefer #2. The person crossing the track is good, and the track leads me to the bridge in the background which leads back into the picture. Good crop, and the B&W fits well with the type of image.

Good shot.

#1 has to much going on. Confusing on which to follow, the tracks or the sidewalk.

3. Dao, I prefer the second one too. In the original image there are two opposing curves. That confuses the eye. That problem is solved in the crop. There isn't much color in the cropped image so B & W works well.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I too like the second one , but I like it better if you crop just after the first lamp post & bench .

5. Dao, I like # 1 best. It is a nice Old Montreal shot as I know it and your postprocessing enhances the picture nicely.
    That said, #2 is a very nice rendition that invokes what the place looked like many years ago. Certainly interesting as well.

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Dao, that's a candidate for two separate crops -- one for the left side and another for the right. Have you tried a sepia tone treatment for the left side? I tried that after Frit's comment about history and thought that it evoked an even stronger "old city" feel.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Of the two, I like the second, but agree with Bob that there are probably two good shots to be had here. :smile:

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Of the two, I also like the B&W crop better.

As Virginia said the two diverging curves make it hard for me to view the picture.

I also agree with Biggs that if the crop included the bench and lamp it might improve the picture and still satisfy Frits' reaction as a Montrealer.

9. My 2 cents...

I prefer the 2nd shot as is. The first shot has too much going on for me. The guy walking is great and the activity on the right is ok but not both together. I have to disagree about recropping to include the light post. I cropped on my screen, including the post, and it was too abrupt for my tastes. I like #2 just the way it is....would be curious to see it in Sepia though.

10. Like many of the others I like #2 the best. Very nice shot Dao.

11. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I prefer #2. It draw my eye only one direction, whereas the other leads me all over the place. The PP in the second one also captures the mood better in my humble opinion. They are both very nice tho!

12. To NikonCafe nice members who answer my request for critics,

A warm thank for your comments. It's a big help to make my composition and visualisation better.

Kevin, I'm working on a «colored» version of #2 but I was undecided which Sepia tone (light or more saturated yellow, reddish or only pure yellow, etc.) fits the picture better.

Kind regards.

13. Dao, I can see shot #2 working with that yellowish sepia tone. It's so reminiscent of a turn-of-the-century shot as it is I think it would work very well.

14. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I like the shot and would also like to see some other cropping alternatives...

Interesting note: I wanted to save the shot and try some crops. When I tried to save it either from the view at NikonCafe, or from pbase.com it would only "Save As" a BMP file. So, I got around that by right clicking the image in pbase.com and then emailed it to myself, which captured the image as a JPG file, which is what I wanted....

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Here's a crop with the benches.....

71003552_1dc8924af5_o.

16. Here's the sepia converted image of #2. What do you think?

17. It's perfect!

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dao,
    Catch your PM