Which crop works best?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Outdoors, Jul 2, 2007.

1. My usual outdoor shots. Which crop do you prefer?

Comments and critiques always appreciated.

2. I much prefer the first one. I think the rule to put the skyline about 1/3 works here. The yellow against the blue makes a pretty color combination. I like the empty quietness I get from looking at this picture.

3. I line the first one best as well. Beautiful colors.

4. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dan,

Greetings. I really like the color in this shot... particularly the orange/yellow against the blue... and of course, the nice clouds.

To my eye, the subject of this image is the wide expanse of grain... It strikes me that the focus should be on the depth of this shot and it feels like the trees add a boundary to the expansive feel and the horizon tilts you in that direction. I tried a tall crop on your image but it was a bit too much and ended with this square crop with the horizon straightened. A little wider than what I have here might finish off the idea of the (what are those) barns in among the trees a little better (I didn't see them until I was inserting the image). Maybe a 5x4 aspect ratio with the leftmost barn on the third... Ah, shoot, forget the square crop. I like this one better.

[​IMG]

Ah, that's the ticket (for me at least)... Now, the barns draw your eye into the image, off in the distance adding to the expansiveness. Now I wish for just a little more forground, a camera angle slightly lower to the ground or a wider angle lens, but that's not exactly a crop.

Uh, I don't know the etiquette for messing with other folks photos, so my apologies if the above is inappropriate, it seemed easier than to try to describe the crop...

As always, your mileage may vary...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

5. Thanks Miriam, Matt and Yamo!

I was struggling with this one and I very much like your suggestions. Here is another one I had tried:

and

I will go back and try other angles. As you say Yamo, I am trying to capture the look of the wheat in detail in the front contrasted with the expanse / open space of the field.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  6. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Dan,

Greetings. In general I like the images with more sky. I think the camera angle in the second set is better for the subject, but I think what is missing is the perspective distortion you get with a wide angle lens. Short of reshooting this with a wide angle you could play around with it in PS or other editing apps that have a perspective transform tool to see if that is the look you want...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

7. First one for me. Nicely done.

8. First one is the best for me.

9. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    the first

10. I prefer the first ..

11. vote for #1.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I like the one Yamo did, those were my thoughts with what has been posted.

[​IMG]

13. I like #1 Best

I too like #1 the best. The color contrast is nice and you see a bit more sky. Overall a very pleasing compisition.

14. Thanks all for your feedback! This is turning out to be a great site to get ideas and constructive critique.