Which eye is your shooting eye?

interesting.. I could never shoot with the left eye because that would block the right one from seeing what's going on! not to mention that would feel very very awkward to me. I am right handed, use the right eye in the camera and watch what's going on (part of the time, depending) with the left eye that can see out alongside the body.

J

jkamphof

Left-handed and left eye...tried the right eye for fun and simply doesn't work.

Joel.

I am right handed and I shoot with my left eye in the viewfinder. (well I am right handed at everything but frisbee, I throw a frisbee with my left hand)

K

kengo

Right handed, left kicker (for some reason I play ball better with my left foot), left eye for photography.

Whe I try using my right, I have a hard time seeing the whole viewfinder immediately. Though I think shooting with my right but looking from my left eye, is why I have a hard time getting my horizons straight.

rsimms said:
I know this is topic is a bit silly but...

I've always held the camera up to my left eye, but when I look at books and photos of other people taking pictures they almost always hold the camera to the right eye. So I would like to know which eye is your shooting eye?

I'm right-handed, but use my left eye.

I

IxLr8

Me - Ambidextrous & Right Eye (Both eyes open)

Wife - She hasn't figured it out yet.

R

Removed User 2

Wife - She hasn't figured it out yet.

Yeah, that's always funny when someone doesn't know which eye to use... My girlfriend is the same. Always makes me laugh :lol:

Left eye for camera.

Right handed.

Right handed pitcher, left handed batter through 45 seasons at baseball.

Left-eyed (not just for shooting w/ the camera), mostly right-handed and I guess left-footed to some extent. :D

I do most things best w/ right hand, but I probably coulda been somewhat ambi-dextrous if I grew up trying. There are a few things I do left-handed more naturally like holding a cup to drink, especially while I'm eating. :D I also flip through magazines left-handed, except unlike Leigh, I actually hold the spine w/ my right hand and flip w/ my left hand (and have a natural tendency to want to go from right to left, ie. backwards for most Western languages). However, this may or may not have something to do w/ me growing up reading Chinese from right to left as is the proper, traditional way. :D And whenever I've tried to learn a musical instrument, eg. flute, guitar, I naturally wanted to try lefty first w/out realizing it.

I'm somewhat left-footed because I naturally start w/ my left foot when I walk though I don't normally kick well w/ it. The big problem w/ being left-eyed, right-handed and left-footed is when I go bowling. :D It's quite awkward to start w/ the opposite foot from the hand you use to bowl -- I lose out on momentum due to a hitch I have w/ the extra step and always look like I'm bowling drunk :D -- but I failed miserably whenever I tried to start w/ my right foot (to the point of actually dropping the ball behind me :D). And being dominant in the opposite eye is also troublesome for aiming, which is why I also have a hard time shooting pool for straight-on shots. :D

FWIW, my mother is very much lefty all-around (although she can do some things right handed like I can left handed), and my daughter might be somewhat lefty also while nobody else in the family and amongst close relatives (that I know of) is lefty at all -- hmmm... I wonder if my grandfather (on mother's side) was also lefty. I would also add that the 3 of us are probably the most "artistic" of the bunch too -- of course, that's speaking relatively and only IMHO. :D

Finally, there seems to be a whole lot of left-eyed folks here -- and I've come across a few over in DPR Nikon forums too who do not frequent here. I wonder if it's a Nikon thing. ;) :lol:

_Man_

Right handed, left eye.

My left eye is my naturally better eye and I'm left eye dominant. Not a problem with cameras, but a little awkward for archery.

Glenn

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I use my left eye for a specific reason. I am right handed and not sure I would not do it the same if the following were not my reason but my vision is differnt in each eye. I can see distance with my right eye and need correction for distance in my left eye. I set the diopter correction on the camera for my left eye so when i lift my head from the viewfinder I can see distant objects with my right eye. This way I do not have to wear my glasses while shooting. For those of you that require glasses you can understand the advantage here.
For archery, and firearms I am usually wearing glasses or contact so I use my right eye for aiming those devices.
Fishing I usually have both eyes closed and sometimes emit an audible snore.

gho

I actually held the same survey once on DPR. I'm right handed, left-eye shooter, but I also keep both eyes open - mainly cuz I'm too lazy to squint all the time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom