1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which f-mount telephoto to go with the new Z6/Z7?

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by gryphon1911, Sep 13, 2018.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    We know the 3 native lenses being released with the new Z cameras. Right now, it is missing a longer telephoto.

Let's discuss what your affairs f-mount lens of course would be.

Since the Z has IBIS, do you go for an optically good, unstabilized 70-300, the older 70-300G, or a newer 70-300 AF-P?

Do you go 70-200/4 or if compatible, do you go Tamron 70-210/4? Perhaps go with an f/2.8 zoom variant?

Skip the zooms all together and look at using a 105mm prime?

My initial thought would be either the 70-300G or the newer AF-P. To keep it smaller and lighter. I've Ben happy enough with the G IQ, and have heard great things about the AF-P, but have no first hand experience with it.

So, what are your thoughts on filling the telephoto gap on day one?

2. What's your intended usage? Primarily indoor or a mix of indoor and outdoor shooting? Also are you looking to spend $1000 USD and under? I'd go with the 70-300 AF-P FX VR lens for outdoor or the 70-200 f4 VR used. I have the 70-200 f4 VR and that lens is super sharp with awesome micro contrast. If you plan on getting a Z, I'd stick with Nikon lenses for now and wait for 3rd party lens makers to issue FW updates.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    ^ what he said. :) 

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Honestly, it's a hypothetical question, more for curiosity sake. I've mentioned in my original post that I'd pick either the 70-300G or the AF-P. For me it would be general good light shooting as I already have a Tamron 70-200/2.8 if I need something in low light.

Just wanted to have a little fun conversation about it.

5. I got one of the new FX 70-300 AF-P lenses in June or July just before leaving for a trip to BC. I used it quite a bit on that trip, on a D7200, and I'm very impressed. It seems to be a good bit sharper than the old 70-300VR, handles much more smoothly, and focuses instantly and silently. Overall, it gives the impression of being a higher-quality lens.

I haven't tried it on my D750 yet, but that is coming.

Of course it costs more, but Nikon seems to have permanently lowered the price to $600 from the original $750.

6. For under $600 USD, I'd just get the new 70-300mm AF-P FX VR. It has the new pulse motor and electronic aperture so it should be good for silent focus on the Z cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    I remember a post a while back where you mentioned that. Honestly, that was the first post where I took the lens seriously. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Always listen to your Pa. ;) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Actually, I have purchased both the AFP 70-300DX and the AFP 70-300FX within the past year. They are both surprisingly good, but the FX version is definitely better. The DX version is much smaller and lighter and is quite useful for long hikes.

:cautious:  :D  (Not sure even I would make that recommendation.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    New Z lenses are coming next year.

53E37C04-64F8-49CD-BA91-B5130AAE3939.

11. The issue I have with the lens roadmap is: The 24-70/4 is a terrific lens but if you want anything longer than 70mm the only Z mount offering will be a 70-200/2.8 which I'm sure will be stellar but it'll be a bigger and heavier lens and not an ideal compliment to the 24-70/4. They need a longer reach lighter weight z mount lens for everyday or travel use.

12. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    We don’t know what the TBA lenses represent. One hopes there will be a 24-120/F4, maybe a 200-500/F5.6? TBA means we simply do not know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.