1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which facility to use to repair my camera?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Buckley, May 24, 2019.

1. The multi selector button on my D7000 doesn't work at all when the camera is in Live View and sometimes won't move to the left when chimping a photo. Should I get an estimate from Nikon USA's service department or should I use one of the many repair shops authorized by Nikon to make this repair? Neither Nikon's shops nor the authorized repair shops are in my area, so I will have to ship it no matter which company I choose.

2. If you, rather than my wife, was the CFO of my household, I'm sure I could make that happen. :ROFLMAO: 

EDIT: Actually, she's also the CEO. :) 

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  3. I don't have an answer but I do know Nikon will not tell you anything till they get the camera and even then they will only give a proce estimate, not a time estimate. Make a few calls to see if you can get that information quicker - perhaps APS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    APS will usually give you a ballpark estimate over the phone. Nikon USA did issue an estimate when I filled in the web form and submitted it. You would not be obligated to send them the camera. I'd guess that Nikon would call it a B2 repair, About $425 plus tax and shipping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    If under warranty, I use Nikon Service. Otherwise, always APS.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Your post reminded me that a lot of people here use and recommend them, so I spoke with a person. He explained that they get back to me with an estimate within 2 business days after they receive the camera and that they repair it within one week after receiving approval to make the repair. He also said that, not having seen the camera and assuming the multi selector button has to be replaced, the cost would probably be about $250. I see no reason not to send the camera to them perhaps as early as tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks also to Baywing and Karen for your posts!

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Interesting.....the last two times I used APS (for different things), the estimate was $250!

9. That comes as no surprise. My contact (David) explained that repair costs are based on categories of repair. The particular category my repair is in would be the category that costs about $250. Apparently the same for your repairs.

10. I have used aps several times over the years. They were always fair, and came through for me.
    Lots of my repairs were $250, lenses usually more.
    You are in good hands.
    Gary

11. I always use Melville

12. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Because you are an NPS member?

13. No, I’d use them anyway

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the clarification. ;) 

15. I used them as well, but I can't remember if I used them before I was an NPS member or not.

I have to ask, is $250 really worth the repair? On some of the used sites (I checked Roberts and KEH), there are D7100's and D7200's in the $400 - $500 range. There are even D5300's and D5500's in the $300 - $400 range. These would all be a notable MP upgrade (16mp to 24mp) and have either the same 39 point AF system in the case of the D5#00 bodies, or the much better 51 point system in the D7#00 bodies.

Just a thought.

16. I used them a long time ago. Back around 2010 they went through an expansion and now it seems like they have contracted again? They have nothing for "news" on the site since the 2011 story about the expansion. But the only contact information is for CT?

Note: Precisioncamera.com and Precision-camera.com are not the same company.

Percision-Camera.com even has this on their repair page:

17. Dominion Camera in Falls Church, VA does repairs. I haven’t used them. You might check them out as they are local to you.

Camera Repair | Dominion Camera

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.