Which facility to use to repair my camera?

The multi selector button on my D7000 doesn't work at all when the camera is in Live View and sometimes won't move to the left when chimping a photo. Should I get an estimate from Nikon USA's service department or should I use one of the many repair shops authorized by Nikon to make this repair? Neither Nikon's shops nor the authorized repair shops are in my area, so I will have to ship it no matter which company I choose.

I don't have an answer but I do know Nikon will not tell you anything till they get the camera and even then they will only give a proce estimate, not a time estimate. Make a few calls to see if you can get that information quicker - perhaps APS.

APS will usually give you a ballpark estimate over the phone. Nikon USA did issue an estimate when I filled in the web form and submitted it. You would not be obligated to send them the camera. I'd guess that Nikon would call it a B2 repair, About $425 plus tax and shipping.

Your post reminded me that a lot of people here use and recommend them, so I spoke with a person. He explained that they get back to me with an estimate within 2 business days after they receive the camera and that they repair it within one week after receiving approval to make the repair. He also said that, not having seen the camera and assuming the multi selector button has to be replaced, the cost would probably be about $250. I see no reason not to send the camera to them perhaps as early as tomorrow.

Real Name
David
I always use Melville
I used them as well, but I can't remember if I used them before I was an NPS member or not.

I have to ask, is $250 really worth the repair? On some of the used sites (I checked Roberts and KEH), there are D7100's and D7200's in the $400 - $500 range. There are even D5300's and D5500's in the $300 - $400 range. These would all be a notable MP upgrade (16mp to 24mp) and have either the same 39 point AF system in the case of the D5#00 bodies, or the much better 51 point system in the D7#00 bodies.

Just a thought.

Real Name
David
I'd try: Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

They're also an authorized 3rd party Nikon repair center. I'd price haggle between APS and Precision and see which one gives you a lower price. They're both legit and I've used each of them in the past.
I used them a long time ago. Back around 2010 they went through an expansion and now it seems like they have contracted again? They have nothing for "news" on the site since the 2011 story about the expansion. But the only contact information is for CT?

Note: Precisioncamera.com and Precision-camera.com are not the same company.

Percision-Camera.com even has this on their repair page:
PLEASE NOTE, we are NOT affiliated with Precision Camera Repair Center facility in CT. You can find their site here. Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

Latest threads

Top Bottom