Which film scanner?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by weiran, Jun 11, 2007.

1. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    What would you guys recommend for a film scanner? Flatbed or dedicated is fine, although I've yet to find a dedicated one that fits in my budget of £125/$250.

I'd like something that can scan batches of slides and negs, as I have quite a bit of film in my collection and I'm starting to shoot even more now with my new Yashica Electro rangefinder!

I have a Canoscan LiDE 80 at the moment, but it's painfully slow and I can't batch scan, so I have to scan each frame one by one, then move the adaptor on the scanner...:Unsure:

Thanks!

2. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    I would recommend the Epson Perfection V100 scanner. my friend bought this recently and is very pleased with it (99 Euros / $150 / 70 quid). It can scan 1 stip at a time (up to 6 images) and they are auto cropped so the software does it all for you =).

I bought the higher model (V700) recently. If you can stretch your budget to the V700 I highly recommend that also. It can scan 4 stips at once (up to 24 images) and has a ton of other features. I have only had it a week or so but I really like it. There is a link to a coupe of review sites and some links to images I scanned with it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I would love a V700 but it still costs over £350 here which is more than I can spend!

A V350 seems to be a good middle ground though, I can get it currently for £75. Anyone used one before?

4. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    I haven't used a V350 but it seems very much like the V100 in terms of specification (same dynamic range, same film cpacity). It does however have an Automatic Film Loader (could be a welcome addition for bulk scanning) but the higher resolution is utterly pointless. On the up side it is only slightly more expensive than the V100.

5. How much does an Epson 4490 run in the UK? I have one as well as a Nikon Coolscan V.

6. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

I'd stay away from the automatic film loaders...I wasn't very pleased with mine. It is actually much quicker to be able to do 2 or 3 strips at a time and load them yourself. Not to mention you can't do multiple scan passes with an auto film loader.

Look into the Epson 4490/4990. I am very happy with my 4490. All the images I post here and most on my flickr are scanned with that.

7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    4490 looks interesting, seems it's one model higher but one generation behind the V350 and stretches the upper limit of my budget at £140. I may have a look around on eBay.