Which finder is better among F cameras?

Hi guys

I'd like to know among those who had more cameras in the past which camera has the best finder (classic with microprisms and split image) among Nikon cameras? I heard the F3HP and some of the FM, maybe? which would be your pick in terms of image goodness and focus accuracy ?
I know some of you have very good ideas about some of the OM but this is not the case, please mention Nikon only thanks :) Which would be your choice if a BIG and clear finder would be paramount ?
Ruggedness and other specs are fine but finder is now more important. Which would you suggest me to check first ?

Real Name
Chris
Hi guys

I'd like to know among those who had more cameras in the past which camera has the best finder (classic with microprisms and split image) among Nikon cameras? I heard the F3HP and some of the FM, maybe? which would be your pick in terms of image goodness and focus accuracy ?
I know some of you have very good ideas about some of the OM but this is not the case, please mention Nikon only thanks :) Which would be your choice if a BIG and clear finder would be paramount ?
Ruggedness and other specs are fine but finder is now more important. Which would you suggest me to check first ?

The thing about the F3HP is that it's a lower magnification, so that it can be 100% seen from quite a distance - it's primarily for glasses wearers. Iirc, the F5's standard prism was pretty big and bright.

I don't own any pro F bodies later than the F2, or consumer cameras later than the FA, so I can't comment on them.
However, I like the finders in my F and F2 bodies because they are big and bright and show 100% of what the lens sees.
The finder on my F is actually a DE-1, which is the meterless finder made for the F2, but it mounts and works on either camera.
My F2 has a DP-12 metering finder.
THe pro F bodies all use interchangeable focusing screens so I've taken the split image with micro-prism screens out of them and replaced them with either blank screens or blank screens with the grid overlay.
I also made the screen change in my FA body, and had a custom-fitted grid screen installed in my FM body as well.
If a big clear finder is the primary concern I'd go with either the F or F2.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom