Which flash trigger?

I need a reliable, at distance, remote trigger for my D800 and also for a D90.

I know they're different systems but perhaps there is something for dual use.

There is such a plethora of triggers and features it gets a bit overwhelming. So if anyone has researched and tried some of these and can offer recommendations that'd be great.

Yongnuo RF-602 or RF-603. Dirt cheap, looooooong range, and every bit as reliable as any pocket wizard. If you're doing simple manual off camera flash there's no need to spend more IMO.

I use Phottix Stratos II triggers. Not sure about the Yongnuos, but I like that the shoe-mounted transmitter will do iTTL pass-through to the camera mounted flash. This way you can do TTL-BL for fill lighting, and trigger manual off-camera flash to light up a room. The Stratos II receivers can be triggered by their other more advanced Phottix Odin (RF iTTL) line of transmitters as well in case I upgrade. I'm really happy with the build and performance on these triggers.

Yongnuo RF-602 or RF-603. Dirt cheap, looooooong range, and every bit as reliable as any pocket wizard. If you're doing simple manual off camera flash there's no need to spend more IMO.
I second this, I have a handful of 602's and they have treated me very well over the years (and they will double as a wireless camera shutter as well if you ever need). There are 2 negatives to the 602's (can't speak for the 603's since I've never tried them), very minor but worth noting: the trigger's battery is not a standard battery, you'll want to stock up on a few from Radio Shack if you go this route, I prefer a standard AAA (like the receivers have) or a AA but that's the price we pay for keeping the trigger small I suppose. The other negative (for me) is the max flash sync speed is only 1/200th which is a little on the slow side (1/250th works but not consistently enough, often times it gives you signa of the shutter on an edge), again not a deal breaker but worth noting.

One other trigger to look into would be the Pixel Kings. I picked up small set to play with and have been quite impressed. They're definitely not as economical as the RF-602/603's but they're still a lot less money than PW's. The selling point for me on the Pixel Kings is their extremely high max sync speed, you can sync as fast as you want to with a speedlight or a strobe (as long as you realize anything above 1/250 starts to diminish the effective flash power, but hey when battling the sun it's a nice thing to have). The Pixel Kings also offer all that ttl stuff but I've never tried it since I don't use ttl so I can't tell you how well it works.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom