Which Gimbal Head?

I am looking to buy a gimbal head and I know Wimberley are the best out there, but far too expensive for my hobbyist needs, so I have been looking at Benro GH2 or Benro GH5C carbon fibre, I am also looking at Sirui PH-20 carbon fibre. Carbon fibre would be my preference but the GH2 will do if it is a better option, has anyone got experience with these heads and would you recommend them or something else?

Bearing in mind I am in the UK and therefore we do not get all the options as in the US or other Countries.

Any advice would be appreciated,

With thanks, Jeremy.

Don't forget the used markets. I bought a wimberley gimble for cheap many years ago- I forget but it was well under $100. It was beat to crap, female threads to attach to tripod were stripped out.
I sent it to Wimberley and for next to nothing they rebuilt it. It still looks bad, but 10+ years later it still works just like a brand new shiny one.
It is HEAVY.
I have seen the benro out in the field, it seemed to be fine but no personal experience.
Buy quality, and you only have to buy it once.
Good luck with your search.
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I've used Jobu and Wimberley. I liked the Jobu a LOT. Just as much as the Wimberley. I second the suggestion to check the used market.....

If you have a good ballhead you might look into the Wimberley Sidekick. It's not for everyone and it depends on your usage but I went from a Sidekick to the full Wimberley Gimbal and then back to the Sidekick. Why? I found the Sidekick to work almost as well as the full gimbal with my Nikon 500e and it's much lighter and easier to pack and tote around. Plus I can immediately revert back to the ballhead if needed. I have no regrets "downgrading" and looking back my mistake was "upgrading" to the full Wimberley but YMMV....

FWIW: I highly recommend the Wimberley MonoGimbal head for Monopods when traveling light is desired or required.

Don't forget the used markets. I bought a wimberley gimble for cheap many years ago- I forget but it was well under $100. It was beat to crap, female threads to attach to tripod were stripped out.
I sent it to Wimberley and for next to nothing they rebuilt it. It still looks bad, but 10+ years later it still works just like a brand new shiny one.
It is HEAVY.
I have seen the benro out in the field, it seemed to be fine but no personal experience.
Buy quality, and you only have to buy it once.
Good luck with your search.
gary

I have been looking for used as well, but nothing available at the moment, I did come across the Benro today but when I clicked into it, it was sold.

JLH

I have a Jobu and a "brand X" from Amazon. The low end one actually works fine for many things, especially if they are stationary, but the Jobu is first class and a real step up for fast movement.

May be a little late, but I have a Wimberly WH200 and a Benro GH5C carbon fibre. Both are solid technically and incredibly well made. I use the Wimberly because even though it's heavier it takes up a little less room in my camera bags. I would definitely recommend the Benro, and I'd gladly sell it to you if shipping wasn't cost prohibitive.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom