Which head for a Manfrotto 441 carbon fiber tripod?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by gaopa, Aug 25, 2008.

1. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    I just bought a like new Manfrotto 441 tripod from a fellow Nikonian. Now I need a good head for it. I already have a Manfrotto 3021BN with the 3030 pan/tilt head that serves me well. I bought this carbon fiber tripod for outdoor use.

I shoot a D300/grip and a range of Nikkor lenses from 35/2 up to 80-400 VR. I would appreciate suggestions for a good, but reasonably priced head for my new tripod. TIA, Bill P.

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Bill, it depends on how much you want to spend on the head. I went from a Benro KS-2, a very capable head (which can be purchased for between $100 - $130), to the Kirk BH-1 because I liked the way it handles. You could also go for Markins M20 or RRS BH55 but all of these will put you back by atleast $300. HERE is a good article by Thom Hogan which might help you come to a decision. Hope it helps.

3. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have the Acratech Ultimate head (http://acratech.net/) and love it - weighs in at less than a pound. Holds a bunch, too. It is an open-ball design - meaning dirt and grit cant find inaccessable recesses in which to hide.

4. I still use the Bogen Magnesium 3437 pan/tilt on mine with an Arca-Swiss clamp mounted on the quick release plate. Weighs less than a pound.

5. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Thanks guys.... after looking at the various options, I went with the Manfrotto midi ball head. It came yesterday and when I tried it I think it will be fine. Thanks again for giving me your thoughts. Cheers, Bill P.