1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which image looks better?

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Danny Brenner, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Danny Brenner

Danny Brenner

Feb 9, 2006
    Israel
    Please take a look and tell me, which of these two images looks better for you.
    I used Imagenomic "Portraiture" plug in filter for Photoshop CS3 to soften the second image.
    Image was shot with D3 and AF-S 200VR set to 1/30 and F5.6 + SB900 fired off the ceiling
    for a bit of fill light. VR was set to ON and I shot handheld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    I would say the first one, the second one is a little to dreamy.
    Don't know if it is possible but if you could bring the effect back about 50% it might be perfect.

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I like the first one better. The second one she looks like her face is plastic.

4. D300fan

D300fan

Mar 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I like the second one!

5. First one for me... However, I have the same plug-in;

If you play with the settings you can get it far more natural looking than your second image. Well worth the effort (and time) playing with it.

Paul

6. something 2/3rds of the way to the second, from the first
    her skin needs post-processing.... but, not as much as you did

one more thing...
    i'd spend some time "plucking" her eyebrows in post.... if you know what i mean
    too bad she didn't think of that before the shot was taken

7. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    I agree with most, I prefer the first one, but something in between would be great. I assume you soften on a separate layer. You can just reduce the opacity of the blur layer a few steps. I tend to soften very little, especially when the subject has freckles.

Also, the eyebrows don't bother me, but that strand of hair on the forehead is distracting. Maybe you could consider cloning it out.

Cheers

8. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I like the second one, but I would prefer something in between the image 1 and 2.

9. I like the 2nd, but it may be slightly over-done.
    And I suggest you print the photos and compare. Printing usually helps me compare better than the screen version.

10. There is no texture left in her skin in #2, therefore, she looks very plastic-y. This is most noticable on her forehead.

Each time I see someone trying this plug-in out, it seems that it needs to be scaled WAY back. I don't know if it leaves you with a layer whose opacity you can adjust, but I"d bring it down to 35% and then come up a little to effect.

11. Hey Danny, a little lighter touch with the PI along with a very minor adjustment in levels and you would have a winner with this image. Take a look at this and see what you think.

12. papa85

papa85 Guest

between 1 and 2. would be a good portrait

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.