Which IPS monitor should I get???

I'm looking for a new monitor and it was suggested that I get an IPS monitor for photo editing. Does anyone know anything about the ASUS PA248Q 24" monitor? Saw it on Amazon for $290, don't know if that is a good price, or if I can get better for the same or less. Thanks for your input.

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PA248Q/

Eizo color edge 27". I calibrate it first time, thereafter it happens automatically. Wonderful colors and nice shadow detail and goes to proper 80 candles per sq meter and a nice matt screen.

The only problem is if you have to check the price, you will not want it.

It is plugged into a new Mac Pro that does not even slow with 36 MP D800 files.

For a 24" monitor, I'd recommend the Dell U2412M. I've had it for more than a year and like it quite a bit.

The review on TFTCentral is very positive too.

It's gone on sale very frequently for $270-$280 on Newegg and Amazon and was $260 on Amazon just last week. (There was also a strange $200 appearance on the Microsoft Store but it was probably a fluke or price mistake.)

I'm looking for a new monitor and it was suggested that I get an IPS monitor for photo editing. Does anyone know anything about the ASUS PA248Q 24" monitor? Saw it on Amazon for $290, don't know if that is a good price, or if I can get better for the same or less. Thanks for your input.

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PA248Q/

I was reading that there is bad back bleeding with those Asus's.

From my researching over the last couple of weeks, I think that the Dell UltraSharp U2412M can't be beat in this price range($269, free shipping Amazon).

Ultimately I decided the keep my Soyo Topaz as it has a S-pva(excels in blacks and contrast) panel in it and buy a Spyder Pro 4 instead. Looks nice calibrated :biggrin:

I do not know the monitor you mentioned but would say at least on paper the Asus spec is pretty good and better than the Dell U2412M. AFAIK the Asus is an 8 bit panel whereas the Dell is 6 bit and the Asus is said to cover 100% sRGB. In practice you may or may not notice a difference side by side, but generally an 8 bit panel would be preferred by most pro users.

Obviously these monitors are built to a budget price spec and cannot be expected to perform as similar spec monitors for pro use at 5x the cost.

Having said that I can see no reason to expect bad results from any. As long as you can control the brightness down to around 120 cd/m2 then you should be good to go for photo editing in 'normal-low' ambient lighting conditions. I would suggest that you include in your budget for a calibration device either ColorMunki Display or Spyder 4 if you are aiming for accuracy/consistency of viewing and matching screen to print.

If you can try and compare the models side by side first

I do not know the monitor you mentioned but would say at least on paper the Asus spec is pretty good and better than the Dell U2412M. AFAIK the Asus is an 8 bit panel whereas the Dell is 6 bit and the Asus is said to cover 100% sRGB. In practice you may or may not notice a difference side by side, but generally an 8 bit panel would be preferred by most pro users.

According to Dells website, the Dell mentioned above is actually 8 bit. At least while watching the video description that's what the guy mentions

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-2676

According to Dells website, the Dell mentioned above is actually 8 bit. At least while watching the video description that's what the guy mentions

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-2676
Well it is possible that the panel has actually changed or that Dell are being a little economical with the truth or not actually realising what they are selling? :smile:

Sometimes it is difficult to get the specific information relating to the panels but as far as I know Dell uses a LG display LM240WU8 - SLA2 e-IPS and according to the LG datasheet is 6 bit. Although capable of producing 16.7mill colours the panel itself uses 6 bit colour depth with A-FRC. This is different to regular 8 bit IPS but is a way to achieve a lower price point.

Still there is a question if the Asus is actually a true 8 bit panel, most seem to think it is although I have not seen any data or any confirmation of what display panel is used.

I just picked up a Dell U2412M($264 shipped, new) and I'm absolutely floored. It replaced my 2008 Soyo Topaz S(still running strong, listed on ebay) with the s-PVA panel in it and as good as those panels are, I personally like the look of the e-IPS with the LED backlighting.

I've calibrated with the spyder pro4 and everything looks good. Not a huge difference from out of the box though, unlike the Soyo after calibration. I know a lot of stink about this monitor is the AG coatings but I like the matte finish and it doesn't look to different from my Soyo. Bezel is clean and the UI controls are easy(Soyos blow lol). What great buy at $264.

With price to performance, monitors have come a long way since 08' lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is possible that the panel has actually changed or that Dell are being a little economical with the truth or not actually realising what they are selling? :smile:

Sometimes it is difficult to get the specific information relating to the panels but as far as I know Dell uses a LG display LM240WU8 - SLA2 e-IPS and according to the LG datasheet is 6 bit. Although capable of producing 16.7mill colours the panel itself uses 6 bit colour depth with A-FRC. This is different to regular 8 bit IPS but is a way to achieve a lower price point.

Still there is a question if the Asus is actually a true 8 bit panel, most seem to think it is although I have not seen any data or any confirmation of what display panel is used.

Tony, you're right, 6 bit + 2bit A-FRC for the Dell U2412M. I believe it's the same for the Asus that's priced similarly.

Either way, at the hobbyist lvl these specs are good enough. The IQ from the Dell is suburb! If I needed to do critical work or was making $$$ from photography ,laying down cash for a high-end monitor would be no question.

Justin, good to hear you are pleased with your Dell, I have heard good reports as well and AG coating is a must in my opinion for critical colour work.

These monitors seem to be getting better all the time with a reasonably high spec. for a very good price and as long as it calibrates well and you get the all important print to screen match then you are obviously good to go :smile:

Dang, I spoke to soon. There's a dead(maybe stuck) pixel dead center, eye level. Something I cannot live with. If it was off to the side I wouldn't care but now that I noticed it, it's driving me nuts lol. When I'm gaming it's there on the back of the guy( or vehicle) I'm using, I'm editing, there it is making me crossed-eyed ... :eek:

I hate making exchanges :mad:

New one arrived, no dead/stuck pixels :smile: . I calibrated this one and there's even less of a difference then the first. Makes my newly purchased Spyder4 pro almost seem useless lol.

I learned that buying through Amazon using there 3rd party vendor, the only option is to return the item and repurchase. Not a huge deal except for the $$$ out as I return the defected product but I have to give props to Amazon. Not only did they ship the new unit out for free, they rushed it for a Saturday delivery. That wasn't expected but nice on their part.

Just bought the 27 inch ASUS PB278Q at local store for $575 (my old Samsung 24 went black). I couldn't afford the NEC at 2X or the Eizo at 4X. The competing Dell was $100 more and had USB ports, but I've had major negative experiences with Dell, so it was an easy decision for me.

The monitor seems perfect out of the box. I hope it lasts longer than the Samsung did (less than 10 years).

Just bought the 27 inch ASUS PB278Q at local store for $575 (my old Samsung 24 went black). I couldn't afford the NEC at 2X or the Eizo at 4X. The competing Dell was $100 more and had USB ports, but I've had major negative experiences with Dell, so it was an easy decision for me.

The monitor seems perfect out of the box. I hope it lasts longer than the Samsung did (less than 10 years).

In the market for a new monitor too. I see Staples has this in stock so may go check it out tomorrow.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom