1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which is better: Sigma 150-500 or Nikon 300/2,8 + TC??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by toroloco, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I wonder which would be better (sharper): the Sigma 150-500 or one of the simpler Nikkor300/2.8 -without VR but with a 1.7 TC . Both lenses would give 500mm, the Nikon with 1.7 TC even a wee bit more.
    Somebody might have had the chance of comparing them.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  2. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    I would be very, very surprised if the Sigma would be sharper than the Nikon+TC with both shot from a tripod. I don't have the Nikon but have seen many extremely sharp shots taken with it and the 1.7 TC. I think the 300 F/4+1.7 TC turns out sharper shots from a solid tripod than the Sigma too, although I've read AF can suffer with that combo.

If you're going to hand hold both and don't have great light to keep the shutter speed up, the real world result might be sharper photos with the Sigma due to the very effective OS.

3. leonkoum

leonkoum

Jul 17, 2007
    Greece
    Leonidas KOUGIOUMTZIS
    Look this photos......
    I take this with my sigma 150-500mm and D300 but i am sure that the combo 300mm f2.8+TC1.7 is better...
    This exotic lens is my dream:rolleyes: 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I've used the Nikon with a 2x TC and the Siggy. The Nikon, even with the 2X was spectacular. The Sigma is a decent lens, but nowhere near the level of the Nikon.

Steve

5. I would say the 300mm and TC combo is better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.