Which is better?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by corns5, Sep 2, 2008.

1. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Hi all,
    First is the photo un-retouched as I recall. I felt that the image was rather soft and un-vivid out of the camera. So I used my Photoshop Elements 6 and sharpened the eyes, and made some other simple adjustments. Do you think they look better, or should I just stick with the original on portraits like these, for kids and teens
    p192944589-4.png

Then photoshopped with Elements 6

[​IMG]

2. I think the eyes are just a tad overdone. The way they are now, when I see the image, my mind tells me I'm looking at a painting instead of a photograph. People do not have bright solid white sclera (white part of eye) in real life, so when you make them look like that in your photo, it looks a bit fake. If this were a glam shot for a magazine, the rules wouldn't apply so much, but for an everyday portrait of a family member, I would shoot for a bit more realistic eyes and skin tones. I know everybody's different, but when I retouch my photos, I strive to make them look great without it saying, "Hey, this was photoshopped." I like it when other folks look at my photos, and say, "Why don't my photos ever come out looking like that?" Also, the eyes are still just a bit on the soft side.

3. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks, Medic... so if you don't mind my asking, most tutorials here focus with CS3, not Elements 6 which I own. So i am going back to 'red eyes' and just touching up the eyes a very little bit, is this better then? (lets call the original, the top photo, #1, and the retouched one #2 and this one below #3...)...
    #3 hardly photoshopped:
    p1005677727-4.png

4. I definitely prefer the skin tones and eyes in number three. Still a little soft. Try a little more unsharp mask on the eyes. Do you know how to add a layer mask to make your sharpening only show up on the parts you want?