1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by corns5, Sep 2, 2008.

1. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Hi all,
    First is the photo un-retouched as I recall. I felt that the image was rather soft and un-vivid out of the camera. So I used my Photoshop Elements 6 and sharpened the eyes, and made some other simple adjustments. Do you think they look better, or should I just stick with the original on portraits like these, for kids and teens
    p192944589-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then photoshopped with Elements 6

[​IMG]

2. I think the eyes are just a tad overdone. The way they are now, when I see the image, my mind tells me I'm looking at a painting instead of a photograph. People do not have bright solid white sclera (white part of eye) in real life, so when you make them look like that in your photo, it looks a bit fake. If this were a glam shot for a magazine, the rules wouldn't apply so much, but for an everyday portrait of a family member, I would shoot for a bit more realistic eyes and skin tones. I know everybody's different, but when I retouch my photos, I strive to make them look great without it saying, "Hey, this was photoshopped." I like it when other folks look at my photos, and say, "Why don't my photos ever come out looking like that?" Also, the eyes are still just a bit on the soft side.

3. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks, Medic... so if you don't mind my asking, most tutorials here focus with CS3, not Elements 6 which I own. So i am going back to 'red eyes' and just touching up the eyes a very little bit, is this better then? (lets call the original, the top photo, #1, and the retouched one #2 and this one below #3...)...
    #3 hardly photoshopped:
    p1005677727-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. I definitely prefer the skin tones and eyes in number three. Still a little soft. Try a little more unsharp mask on the eyes. Do you know how to add a layer mask to make your sharpening only show up on the parts you want?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.