Which is correct?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bett, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Nigh-kon (long I sound)
    or Knee-kon (long E sound)?

I've met two people recently who pronounce Nikon
    differently than I. How about you?

2. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I pronounce it knee-kon and so doesn't Jan

3. Jester4176

Jester4176 Guest

I pronounce it Nigh-kon, and so does everyone I've ever talked to including Nigh-kon reps at seminars.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Nigh kon

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Ditto

6. See this thread about it. I'm not sure we ever came to consensus on it.

It seems that in Japan (where Nikon is located) it's said one way and in the USA, at least, it's said another.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

I asked my wife this same question. She is a native Japanese speaker and grow up in Tokyo. We live in California.

She said the "i" is soft and none of the two syllables are accented. This second part, not accenting either syllable is very hard for most Americans. Then she said how she pronounces "Nikon" depends on who she is speaking with, if they are Americans she says it the "wrong" way so they can understand her. If they speak Japanese then she'll say it "correctly".

Few English speaking Americans will know what company you are talking about if you use the exact Tokyo accent. Note that in Japan they use the English word for most things that were imported from outside old traditional Japan, like coffee, gasoline and so on. but they change the pronunciation and add Japanese word endings.

So which is "correct"? I think the old advice of "When in Rome......" holds here.

The thing I (as a native speaker of American English) find that makes Japanese hard to pronounce correctly is that Japanese is not accented. In English we always want to choose one syllable of each word to be dominant. It is hard to get away from this. This sounds almost comical to Japanese ears. Kind of like a stereotypical Baja Accent sounds to my Southern California ears. That said, I rarely here that style of Mexican accent. It may have dsappeared 25 ears ago.

8. "A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

I have always heard it as "Nigh-kon (long I sound)" in America and "Knee-kon (long E sound)" outside the USA. So I guess it is mostly regional.

9. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Stolen Identity!

That last post was made by a trouble maker at work!
    I left my compy, and simeone slipped in...

Yes, I say it long "I" too. Trouble makers in the work place! sheesh!
    I'm going to have to change my password...

10. Renate

Renate Guest

Knee-kon when I'm in the Netherlands. Nigh-kon when I'm in the States.

Renate

11. "I got a Nigh-Kon Camera I like to take photographs" How could Simon and Garfunkel be wrong?

12. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Thank's Everyone.

It was just strange that Jan came through the shop today,
    and said I had a nice Kneekon in my car. Cindy (trouble maker:smile:) has said
    Knee-kon since I've known her. I had never heard it pronounced like that, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

13. If you dial 1-800-NIKONUS, the recording says, "Thank you for calling...Nigh-kon....."

14. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I think its stands for Nippon Kogagu. So its :
    NI(p)- CON. The N just ended it nicely. Although Kogagu could be cone, too.

But NI-Cone just doesn't sound as good.

15. Long I. I have never heard it pronounced any other way

16. Snake

Snake

Dec 19, 2005
    Central Alabama
    After living in Japan for three years, I can say that the Japanese language has no long "I" sound. There it is pronounced knee-con. Personnally, I dont think it matters how you pronounce it as long as the correct pronunciation is
    "Canon". LOL

17. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I've heard it from a Japanese video on youtube saying it Nick-On.

18. In Australia it is Nick-On, any time I have been in the States it is Nigh-Kon....

19. I have always heard that it is camera, otherwise it's Canon.