Which lens for a candid wedding

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pr549f2678, Oct 3, 2008.

1. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Hi,

My Daughter's husband's Daughter is getting married next week end and
    She wants me to walk aroung and get some candid shots, (they have a pro)
    Which lense or lense's should I use from my signature?
    The wedding is inside around 5 in the evening.

Thanks for any help.

Phil..............:smile:

2. ryan davis

ryan davis

Aug 23, 2007
    virginia
  3. The 17-55 F/2.8 and maybe the 85 F/1.4 on the side just in case you need the reach. :smile:

4. Captj01

Captj01

Nov 27, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I agree with John. 17-55 f/2.8 and the 85 f/1.4

5. 85/1.4 so you have a lil working room.

6. When I get to the "reception" part of the event, the 85 f/1.4 is the only lens I mess with. Allows me to get real PJ "ninja" type shots (no flash) and great people separation.

7. It certainly depends on your working distances. I recently shot an event with my 35-70mm f/2.8 on one body and the 85mm f/1.4 on the other. Any shots I didn't get were not because of my focal lengths. :biggrin:

8. I'm with you on that. I love that approach and I did the same thing, using only the 85mm f/1.4.

Did you get the Ninja concept from Joe Buissink? I did and I think it's a great approach... being 'everywhere and nowhere'. I use that expression all the time and think it's the best way for shooting events.

9. The 17-55 is a great all around lens... perfect for group shots and table shots. But wait... the pro is getting paid to havest bunches of those kind of shots. I'd suggest you leave him to it, and look for a few intimate candids that will complement his work. Your 85/1.4 is the perfect lens for that assignment. Here's some examples from a wedding where I was a guest, and had the luxury of taking boutique shots with the Cream Machine.

View attachment 262331

View attachment 262332

View attachment 262333

View attachment 262334

View attachment 262335

10. Hi Frank,

Every time I see this image of yours I think "now that's what it's all about!"

I love this image. It captures a moment, a feeling, an emotion, the excitement and happiness of the day. For me it is a wonderful image that speaks volumes.

11. Thanks, Robert! When I showed that picture for the first time, I got an interesting response from a Cafe member who is a wedding professional... something like "I know you weren't the prime shooter at that wedding." When I asked how he knew, he responded, "the prime shooter is too busy to wait for a moment like that". And time has proven him right. I've never caught a shot that expressive when I've been the prime.

12. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    I want to thank each and everyone for your imput, I know I can always
    help in this forum, the best there is........

Frank, those pictures are super nice, hope I can get some half that good.

Thanks again,
    Phil...............:smile:

13. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Appreciate it Robert, TY.
    I must get away from so much "Cream Machine" Wide Open though, or must I roflmao, damn I love that lens!

16. I love the lens too but I'm actually partial to using it between f/2 and f/5.6.

I love shallow depth of field but I'm not a big fan of it on events with movement and shots that many have many 'planes' I want in focus at the same time.

17. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Thanks for sharing your pictures.............they were great.

Phil............:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. STSinNYC

STSinNYC

Sep 15, 2008
    NY, NY
    Think about the types of shots...will you be doing any table shots? Walk-around candids? The 17-55 would be a good choice from my experience, just did the photos for a niece's wedding recently. Flexibility in composition, and being closer, you want need as much flash power (what flash will you be using?).

I could also see the 85/1.4, it's a question of lighting.

19. marn

marn

Mar 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    i was in almost the same situation. im not a pro anything.. just shoot for fun.

my friend was married and had a pro shooter.

i was her friend and guest but wanted my own memories.

i used a sigma 10-20 for a couple shots and the 70-300 for some ceremony pictures but other than that i used a 50mm f/1.4 with a D300.

http://www.groovydrift.com/slideshows/claudineweddingslideshow/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.