Which lens for macro jewelry pictures?

I have a friend who wants to take pictures of the jewelry she's designing. She's getting a D40 as a gift and now wants to know which lens to get. I'm thinking the 105VR but I need your suggestions.. any help will be much appreciated.

The 105 VR will certainly work well. It's AF-S too so will work with the D40.

There are certainly some cheaper options but some may not AF with the D40. However, with all my macro work, I never use AF, so it may be worth considering the Sigma 105.

Any macro lens will works for jewelry but, from other threads I've seen about shooting jewelry, shorter ones seem to be preferred. Probably for the DOF. Small pieces can be shot with any macro that will work with the D40. Larger pieces can be easier to shoot with shorter lenses as lots of DOF is usually important in jewelry shots.

The D40 with its small weak viewfinder will probably be OK but I would encourage your friend to consider something else. When I shoot small objects on a table top I like to use AF and adjust with MF as needed. I'm concerned that the D40 will be suitable if these images are going to be important to her work rather than a simple record of her efforts.

The D40 also limits the selection of lenses unless using manual focus exclusively is OK. I think that limits her choices to the Nikkor 60/2.8 AF-S VR, 105/2.8 AF-S VR, Sigma 150/2.8 HSM, and perhaps a few others.

Real Name
John
Depending on how much she wants to spend, I would go with the 60mm micro or the new 45mm PC-E micro. She should also get a tripod.

The 105 VR will certainly work well. It's AF-S too so will work with the D40.
There are certainly some cheaper options but some may not AF with the D40. However, with all my macro work, I never use AF, so it may be worth considering the Sigma 105.
Thanks Mart. I hadn't thought about the Sig 105.

Any macro lens will works for jewelry but, from other threads I've seen about shooting jewelry, shorter ones seem to be preferred. Probably for the DOF. Small pieces can be shot with any macro that will work with the D40. Larger pieces can be easier to shoot with shorter lenses as lots of DOF is usually important in jewelry shots.

The D40 with its small weak viewfinder will probably be OK but I would encourage your friend to consider something else. When I shoot small objects on a table top I like to use AF and adjust with MF as needed. I'm concerned that the D40 will be suitable if these images are going to be important to her work rather than a simple record of her efforts.

The D40 also limits the selection of lenses unless using manual focus exclusively is OK. I think that limits her choices to the Nikkor 60/2.8 AF-S VR, 105/2.8 AF-S VR, Sigma 150/2.8 HSM, and perhaps a few others.
I'd forgotten about the 60mm AF-S lens. I'll make all these suggestions to my friendl. Thanks!

Depending on how much she wants to spend, I would go with the 60mm micro or the new 45mm PC-E micro. She should also get a tripod.
Oh my goodness, I'd totally forgotten to mention the tripod. That's a must. And now you've got me curious about the new 45mm PC-E micro. I'll check that out too. THanks!

I have the 85mm PC Micro and it is ideal for this kind of work, but you have to know what you are doing.

-- Russ
Hi Russ,
Thanks for that suggestion. You know about it because you actually do the same kind of work. There's lots to think about and I'll now have my friend read this thread.
Many thanks for helping me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom