1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which lens for macro jewelry pictures?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I have a friend who wants to take pictures of the jewelry she's designing. She's getting a D40 as a gift and now wants to know which lens to get. I'm thinking the 105VR but I need your suggestions.. any help will be much appreciated.

2. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    The 105 VR will certainly work well. It's AF-S too so will work with the D40.

There are certainly some cheaper options but some may not AF with the D40. However, with all my macro work, I never use AF, so it may be worth considering the Sigma 105.

3. Any macro lens will works for jewelry but, from other threads I've seen about shooting jewelry, shorter ones seem to be preferred. Probably for the DOF. Small pieces can be shot with any macro that will work with the D40. Larger pieces can be easier to shoot with shorter lenses as lots of DOF is usually important in jewelry shots.

The D40 with its small weak viewfinder will probably be OK but I would encourage your friend to consider something else. When I shoot small objects on a table top I like to use AF and adjust with MF as needed. I'm concerned that the D40 will be suitable if these images are going to be important to her work rather than a simple record of her efforts.

The D40 also limits the selection of lenses unless using manual focus exclusively is OK. I think that limits her choices to the Nikkor 60/2.8 AF-S VR, 105/2.8 AF-S VR, Sigma 150/2.8 HSM, and perhaps a few others.

4. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Depending on how much she wants to spend, I would go with the 60mm micro or the new 45mm PC-E micro. She should also get a tripod.

5. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I have the 85mm PC Micro and it is ideal for this kind of work, but you have to know what you are doing.

-- Russ

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Mart. I hadn't thought about the Sig 105.

I'd forgotten about the 60mm AF-S lens. I'll make all these suggestions to my friendl. Thanks!

Oh my goodness, I'd totally forgotten to mention the tripod. That's a must. And now you've got me curious about the new 45mm PC-E micro. I'll check that out too. THanks!

Hi Russ,
    Thanks for that suggestion. You know about it because you actually do the same kind of work. There's lots to think about and I'll now have my friend read this thread.
    Many thanks for helping me.

7. GeeJay,
    I was thinking of the 85 PC too..

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Dino,
    And I just sold my 85 PC:mad: 
    Thanks!

9. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Just to toss in my $0.02....

I have the 60mm f/2.8 micro and it would work great for this type of phototograph.

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Your two cents is valuable and many thanks! I think that's what she's leaning toward at this time..

11. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Hi Gaye -

You're very welcome. Hope things either have or will work out for the best.

12. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    The new 60 2.8 AF-S macro wpould do well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.