Which lens is "The Beast?

I hate to ask dumb questions, but I've seen this in countless posts, and am wondering what lens is being referred to. I'll take a quess: Is it the 70-200VR?

I need to know. It's keeping me awake :D

Just curious. Is the 28-70 highly regarded. I'm not familiar. I'm guessing it's sharp, but haven't read a lot about it.

I know that I like the 70-200VR more than just about anything.

Hey, how about a little poll on what you think should be "the beast"???????

Jonathan said:
Hey, how about a little poll on what you think should be "the beast"???????
Sorry, Jonathan, but it's not up for vote. The name has already been popularized with respect to the Nikon 28-70/2.8, and I've taken the step of copyrighting it. Any use of the term with respect to a different lens will result in an infringement lawsuit. But there are plenty of other unregistered names available, so feel free to be creative.

Well, I wasn't included in the popularization of the lens, so I guess I'll just name my own as well,and worry about infringement later. Clearly for me it's the 70-200VR. I have trouble taking that off my camera at all. Sorry Frank, but " The Beast" just doesn't seem to fit the 28-70, But I haven't used it, so please mail it to me for a 6 month evaluation, and we'll see. I may be swayed

Real Name
Chris
Uncle Frank said:
... I've taken the step of copyrighting it. Any use of the term with respect to a different lens will result in an infringement lawsuit.
;)

Jonathan said:
Clearly for me it's the 70-200VR. I have trouble taking that off my camera at all.
Actually Jonathan, the 70-200VR is known as The Honker on the street.

No problem, Jonathan. As they say, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

But if you decide to refer to your 70-200VR as The Beast, I'd suggest you follow it with a description of the lens, because most folks on the Cafe or DPR will assume you're referring to the Nikon 28-70/2.8.

+1 for the 28-70 as "The Beast" And it was UF that got most of us heading that way......now as far as the 70-200, well I have that one also, and my wife named it.....she immediately looked at it and said"well, I guess size DOES matter!"

Great comment from your wife, Sam. When my wife heard that the 28-70mm f/2.8 was known as "The Beast"...she said, now I've heard everything...lenses have nicknames!!! She shrugged her shoulders and walked away... I guess she just doesn't get it!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
In regards to the 200-400VR I usually call it the SUV, never heard of superhonker, ..... for your information some other terms used here include (from an earlier post of mine):

Overall we all we have GLD or gear lust disease, which has several different strains and is all inclusive with many strong varieties like the flu, including:

LLD or lens lust disease which Uncle Frank indentified and named along with "the Beast"

CLD or Camera Lust Disease which should not be confused with CPULD which is computer lust disease which has it's Mac and Windows strains, usually involoving huge memory amounts, terrabytes of HD space,and dual processors. Also associated with PLD or Printer Lust disease for those wide format printers.

and a new one which has just popped up is Location disease which is envy for the photographers location and being in the right place at the right time, known as LD

:)

Wade

B

billT

Jonathan said:
Well, I wasn't included in the popularization of the lens, so I guess I'll just name my own as well,and worry about infringement later. Clearly for me it's the 70-200VR. I have trouble taking that off my camera at all. Sorry Frank, but " The Beast" just doesn't seem to fit the 28-70, But I haven't used it, so please mail it to me for a 6 month evaluation, and we'll see. I may be swayed
Sorry Jonathan,

The popularization was done before you join the forum.

BillT.

PS I have the Beast as well and love it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom