Which lens is "The Beast?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I hate to ask dumb questions, but I've seen this in countless posts, and am wondering what lens is being referred to. I'll take a quess: Is it the 70-200VR?

I need to know. It's keeping me awake :D

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The Beast lives within the Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8.....

3. Jonathan'

Not 100%, but I think it's the 28-70/f2.8

Check with Uncle Frank to be sure

Mike

4. my money goes to the Sigma 300-800...

now that's the true BEAST....

5. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Just curious. Is the 28-70 highly regarded. I'm not familiar. I'm guessing it's sharp, but haven't read a lot about it.

I know that I like the 70-200VR more than just about anything.

Hey, how about a little poll on what you think should be "the beast"???????

6. Sorry, Jonathan, but it's not up for vote. The name has already been popularized with respect to the Nikon 28-70/2.8, and I've taken the step of copyrighting it. Any use of the term with respect to a different lens will result in an infringement lawsuit. But there are plenty of other unregistered names available, so feel free to be creative.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Well, I wasn't included in the popularization of the lens, so I guess I'll just name my own as well,and worry about infringement later. Clearly for me it's the 70-200VR. I have trouble taking that off my camera at all. Sorry Frank, but " The Beast" just doesn't seem to fit the 28-70, But I haven't used it, so please mail it to me for a 6 month evaluation, and we'll see. I may be swayed

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    ;)

Actually Jonathan, the 70-200VR is known as The Honker on the street.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Geez, where do you guys get these names? Honker, are you serious, why honker?? The Beast sounds much more formidable.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ok then, Superhonker, but I think that's the 200-400.

11. No problem, Jonathan. As they say, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

But if you decide to refer to your 70-200VR as The Beast, I'd suggest you follow it with a description of the lens, because most folks on the Cafe or DPR will assume you're referring to the Nikon 28-70/2.8.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Ya right.. I'll just call it a lens.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Jonathan, we're not making this stuff up.

Oh, wait. We are. (and applying for copyright apparently.)

14. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Yup. I think superhonker was the tip off.

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Jonathan, in all seriousness, Uncle Frank is indeed the populizer of the moniker "The Beast" for the 28-70 f/2.8. He has called it that since way back in March when he got his.

Superhonker, on the other hand, is the name of this multi-processor webserver.

16. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    In my books, the beast is the Nikkor 28-70 AFS f/2.8

I had one a while back but sold it off to get lighter, less offensive lenses.

I do miss it though.

17. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    +1 for the 28-70 as "The Beast" And it was UF that got most of us heading that way......now as far as the 70-200, well I have that one also, and my wife named it.....she immediately looked at it and said"well, I guess size DOES matter!"

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great comment from your wife, Sam. When my wife heard that the 28-70mm f/2.8 was known as "The Beast"...she said, now I've heard everything...lenses have nicknames!!! She shrugged her shoulders and walked away... I guess she just doesn't get it!

19. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    In regards to the 200-400VR I usually call it the SUV, never heard of superhonker, ..... for your information some other terms used here include (from an earlier post of mine):

Overall we all we have GLD or gear lust disease, which has several different strains and is all inclusive with many strong varieties like the flu, including:

LLD or lens lust disease which Uncle Frank indentified and named along with "the Beast"

CLD or Camera Lust Disease which should not be confused with CPULD which is computer lust disease which has it's Mac and Windows strains, usually involoving huge memory amounts, terrabytes of HD space,and dual processors. Also associated with PLD or Printer Lust disease for those wide format printers.

and a new one which has just popped up is Location disease which is envy for the photographers location and being in the right place at the right time, known as LD

:)

Wade

20. billT

billT Guest

Sorry Jonathan,

The popularization was done before you join the forum.

BillT.

PS I have the Beast as well and love it.