1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which lens next?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MurByrne, Aug 13, 2009.

1. So i've got the Tamron 18-270 Lens with my D90, and I just got into photography. Its my only lens, and I'd like some pointers on what people think I should go for next.

Thanks in advance

2. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    I would say either a low light prime lens, like a 50mm 1.4, or the 35mm 1.8. Or if you would like to shoot flowers and small things .. a nice macro lens.

3. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD

+1 especially the 35mm 1.8 or you could get a flash first (SB600) and see if you still need another lens for now.

4. StinkyD

StinkyD

Nov 29, 2008
    Utah
    35 1.8 or one of the 50s. The flash was another good suggestion.

5. If you've just begun to photograph, your first purchases should be books on photographic basics, or courses rather than more equipment.
    Additionally, I think you would be wise to put off buying other gear until you've determined what photo genres you prefer to shoot. Then, based on need, you'll be able to make more informed choices on whether or not to purchase additional lenses and accessories, and which they should be.

6. Since you got a good lens then covers a very wide range of focal length, stay with the Tammy for a good month or so worth a shooting. Analyze your photos and note at what lenght you mostly shoot.

Your next lens purchase may either be a lens within the focal length you often shoot or conversely the focal length you shoot less of. With that, your next lens will be more valued, IMHO.

7. +1
    You can go back and check you photos' EXIF info in a few weeks to see which focal length has been getting the most use.

Also, if you haven't already, look into a good software solution that allows management and tweaking. I'm a big fan of LightRoom, but there are several options...

8. I'd get the 35mm f/1.8 DX.

Every DX owner should have this lens.

9. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    35mm f1.8

10. It depends on what you want to shoot:
    If you like portraits or low light photography you'll need a wide aperture zoom or prime and/or a flash.
    If you like architectures and landscapes you'll need an ultra wide angle lens.
    If you like getting close to bugs and/or products you'll need a macro lens.
    If you like fast action sports, you'll need a fast focusing zoom lens.
    There are a whole lot more IFs :smile: I guarantee you, once you start you cannot stop.
    Try to find out what you like most and start by acquiring the needed gear according to your priorities.

11. What about an ultra-wide angle, like a Sigma 10-20? It will complement your 18-270 really well.

Aside from that, I always suggest that a good tripod is always a worthwhile investment and will dramatically improve your photos.

12. thanks for all the input guys. I've actually already got the SB600 Flash and a nice tripod. I'll stick with what I've got right now and see what fits my needs as I continue.

Thanks again

13. Whats wrong with you people?

This is the lens lust sub-forum and you telling someone not to buy a new lens, shame on you guys. :wink:

/sarcasm

As others have suggested, since you have such a large focal length covered already, the next step is faster glass.

If you want to get a taste of what a larger apertures can do, you could try the 50 f/1.8D for pretty cheap (~90) used or just spend twice as much (~200) and pick up the 35 1.8G.

14. Yes get the credit card out, I have many sneaky ways of hiding purchases from the wife,

15. Cayuse

Cayuse

Nov 14, 2008
    Mesa, AZ

Any that you would like to share would be welcome :smile: I've got a few of my own but have also managed to bet busted a couple times by SWMBO.

16. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Green Dot - prepaid debit card

17. fastfoci

fastfoci

Jan 23, 2009
    Rochester NY
    just buy an SB-600 flash and you will be suprized how much it will help you rather then buying a new lens.

18. My question to you would be, what kind of photography do you have in mind?
    Lenses are tools and are selected according to the task at hand.
    The lens you have now, if you have not owned it for long, is quite versatile and from the pictures I have seen it is sharp. Learn how to use it. It will give you a good indication of what focal lengths you use more often and keep on saving your money for future purchase.
    Recommending a lens is not an easy job. Modern lenses are very good and capable. The photographer has to know exactly what he or she needs the lens for.
    Good luck!

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

19. Keeping it all in mind guys, thanks again for the imput

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.