Which lens set of Costa Rica?

Which lens group for trip to Costa Rica

• Total voters
OK, I’ve narrow my choices down to one of two groupings. I’m trying to keep the overall weight of my camera bag down. So here are the choices. What do you think?

Group A
10.5 DX
17-55 DX
70-200 VR
25mm Extension Tube

Group B
12-24 f/4
50 f/1.4
70-200 VR
25mm Extension Tube

"A" also. The 17-55 will probably cover about 75% of your shots, unless you're into birds.

But if it were me I would take my 18-200VR + 50/1.8 and travel light.

If you are spending a lot of time on the beaches speed won't be that important. But if you are basing yourself in San Jose and plan to spend time in the jungle, then you need fast glass. You lose a lot of light under the jungle canopy, even in the middle of the day.

If you are spending a lot of time on the beaches speed won't be that important. But if you are basing yourself in San Jose and plan to spend time in the jungle, then you need fast glass. You lose a lot of light under the jungle canopy, even in the middle of the day.
It will be about 70/30 jungles/beaches. We are also scheduled to see the sea turtles come ashore at night and I'll probably bring the 28 f/1.4 just for that.

Haze2 beat me too it, he is right about the light under the canopy. Take the fastest glass you can.

Thanks to you guys I know what to take to Puerto Rico. I will be going there for a two week holiday. I will take my d80, 50 1.8, 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 vr. Would you guys suggest speed lights? what about a light tripod? your responses would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Haze2 beat me too it, he is right about the light under the canopy. Take the fastest glass you can.

Thanks to you guys I know what to take to Puerto Rico. I will be going there for a two week holiday. I will take my d80, 50 1.8, 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 vr. Would you guys suggest speed lights? what about a light tripod? your responses would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Flash wise, It really depends on what your hoping to capture while your there. If your planning on taking photos of animals, a flash will probably scare them off (with the exception of monkeys and some reptiles).

If your planning on spending time in the jungle, look into a good monopod (light, strong and durable) that can double over as a walking stick.

Hey, Jeff - I voted for "A". I'm not that much of a wide angle guy, and a fisheye is enough for me.

I see you're obsessing as much as I am. But it'll be to my benefit that you're going to Costa Rica before I do and can tell me what works. :biggrin: This is what I'm thinking for now (it'll probably change a few times):

16mm/3.5 AI
35mm/2 AFD
Sigma 70mm/2.8 Macro
Sigma 100-300mm/4 HSM

SB800
Nodal Ninja (for panoramas with 35/2)

For those of you have taken pictures in the jungle, how dark is it? What kind of exposures were you shooting?

DAB

If you are planning on doing any zip lining, which is fantastic, you will not be allowed to bring a full size camera up in the canopy. If you want to take pics up there you will have to "smuggle" a small, pocket size camera with you. I did that 2 years ago and came up with some wonderful shots.

Also, if you travel around the country using their small planes, there is a 25 pound limit on all luggage so bringing a lot of heavy camera equipment may cost you dollars for overweight luggage and carry ons. Great place to visit! Don

If you are planning on doing any zip lining, which is fantastic, you will not be allowed to bring a full size camera up in the canopy. If you want to take pics up there you will have to "smuggle" a small, pocket size camera with you. I did that 2 years ago and came up with some wonderful shots.

Also, if you travel around the country using their small planes, there is a 25 pound limit on all luggage so bringing a lot of heavy camera equipment may cost you dollars for overweight luggage and carry ons. Great place to visit! Don
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably take my daughters A570IS up. Yes, we are taking a couple of internal flights. Between the four of us in my family, there should be some camera room in our weigh allowance. I had the same thing on a trip to Alaska.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom